Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, Jul 13, 2005.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I just bought a tranny cooler and was wondering what the best way to mount it would be. It came with the plastic things that you are suposed to poke through the raditior. I don't like the idea of putting any thing through my raditior. Are these plactic things ok or are they complete crap

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

They r ok for mounting the coola n the wind......

3. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

they work good for mounting but leave a little tail on them dont clip them off flush if you ever have to take them off and put them back on youll never get it and have to make a trip to town to buy new ones they was cheap but an inconveinance cuz your rig will sit there while you bum a ride to town

balzer

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you want to develop leaks, they're good... ;) they have a tendency to saw thru the tubes over time...

if you can figure out another way with brackets, etc, you'd be better off...

i used thick rubber pads and some stainless tabs to sandwich the endtubes. its worked flawlessly...
    [​IMG]

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah. take the time to make a bracket. Those hard plastic mounting tabs will cut thru a radiator tube over time. Espically bouncing around on trails.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The best place that I've found for those plastic zip-tie type holders is in the nearest trash can. Fab up a decent mounting bracket. You'll be glad you did! :cool1:

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Used those plastic things once, but never again. Make some brackets. You can get angle or flat stock from the hardware store.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

radiator saws...

I'd never use those plastic radiator ruin-ers!.I noticed my diesel truck has them,and I hope they dont saw thru the core of THAT radiator! :eek1: :eek1: 400 bucks if they do! :mad: I'd use a real bracket made of steel!--I have used the metal strapping you can get at Home Depot or Lowe;s,its about an inch wide and 1/16-1/8 " thick,and has holes punched in it every inch or so..have to get some and re-do my truck before I need another radiator... :doah: :(