Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cooler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70jimmy, Apr 1, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have a Hayden tranny cooler that I am about to put on and for installation they supplied these black zip tie type things that you put through the cooler and radiator and they have plastic caps like a washer.

Will this installation method stand up to wheeling? If not how should it be mounted. Thanks.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I've heard that the black sip tie things will eventually wear through your radiator core when you wheel hard...I have the black zip tie things on now, but i am going to manual and getting rid of the cooler (I may keep it as an oil cooler though) Try to rig up someting that will mount the cooler to your horizontal Rad. support instead of the readiator itself...

Chris

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Get some strap stock and make some simple brackets. That's what I did.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Chris is right about them wearing holes in the radiator tubes. It happened to me. I was the one who told him about it. When my cooler first got put on it had those threw the rad zip ties. Well one day I got the itch to flush the rad, so I did. After that it wouldn't stop leaking. I took it to a rad shop, and they said it was leaking in several places, including where the cooler zip ties wore threw the tubes. So this is two leasons in one. Never use the zip ties threw the rad, and don't fix it if its not broken.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

DItch the tube/fin Hayden cooler and buy a stacked plate cooler. They are way tougher and cool a lot better. The design also allows for the cooler to be mounted away from the rad......

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Can you explain the construction of the stacked plate cooler? Do they have them in Summit or Jegs? Right now I'm running a Flex-a lite cooler with the little plastic tie thingies thru the rad. I don't want them to rub thru the cooling tubes.Thanks.

Will

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Stacked plate cooler is similar to your radiator. B&M and others make them this way. You can look at Jegs or Summit who should carry the B&M one. I have one that is not a B&M but its a stacked plate...forgot the brand though, might by a hayden...can't remember.

I mounted mine to the sheet metal around the radiator using L brackets. Here is a pic, it will take a min to load, shows my setup: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/trcksr4me/transcooler.htm>Click Here</a>

This has worked out for me so far, used nylon lock nuts and everything has stayed in place. I did this about year ago.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Mine is the same way as yours. It looks even to be the same cooler. Don't remeber who makes it though. You can see pics of mine from far off in my link below.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Heh, yeah mine was from a pic I had taken of the front end, and then zoomed in on the pic...I never took any actual pics of the cooler install, but noticed a pic with it in there when I read this post /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Mine is a 22,000 GVW Tru-Cool made by Long Inc. and is mounted very similar to yours.

Will- The best part about a stacked plate cooler(other than the tough construction) is that they have a bypass system built in that allows cold, thick ATF to pass by without being cooled. Once the ATF reaches a temperature(and consistency) that indicates it needs cooling, the design allows the fluid to start passing through the cooler.