Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Cooler

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Is the stock tranny cooler that is part of the radiator good enough if u have a shift kit and gears??

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

It would be a lot better to add a extra cooler. Even if it's a stock or almost stock truck.

Eric

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

with any automatic, I would go as big as you can. Especially if it's a 700r4!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

more is better. especially with an auto tranny and cooling. The only problem I have had is the trans fluid not heating up enough with the external cooler in cold weather. I am just going to run a strip or two of duct tape over the cool like they do in Nascar during the winter to help it get warm enough. A gauge is also a VERY good idea for an auto trans.

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the one on my 87 with the 700r4 is not in with the radiator, its mounted right behind the bumper, is that stock or aftermarket?

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

In colder climates, running both the radiator cooler and an external cooler in series with each other is a good idea. Down south in the warmer climates and lock of any cold (ever!) most of us run only an external cooler and eliminate the radiator one. The tranny is never really cold so having the water temp bring the tranny fluid up to opperating temperature is not an issue. Heat is the number one killer of an automatic trans so anything you can do to keep it low will help. Your tranny may not reach a good opperating temperature in a timely manner durring the cold months up there in Illinois if you bypass the radaitor one completely.

7. Old#9

Old#9 Newbie

If you put your rig through any kind of hard use,(offroading, towing, etc.) the more cooling you can get, the better. Heat is definitely an automatic tranny's worst enemy. Take it from me, I live in southern Louisiana and external coolers are all we can do to keep things cool under normal conditions, much less hard use and abuse. <font color="red"> </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

how would u recommend to run it into the radiator then to the cooler......or cooler then radiator
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you're looking at the cooling coil behind the front bumper mounted on a crossmember - that's a power steering cooler. Your truck will have the tranny-cooler-in-the-radiator setup. Look on the radiator below the cap - you should see two steel lines coming in.

10. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Manufacturers recommend radiator first, then on the way back to the tranny, it should be routed through the auxillary cooler. But, it doesn't matter much. It's all going to be cooled nearly the same amount...and the aux. cooler and lines should be able to withstand the little higher temps if mounted in line before the fluid passes through the radiator.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I dont have any direct experience with running both but this is what others have passed along. In the coldest climate people run the external first, then the radiator cooler. This is supposed to help the tranny reach its opperating temperature sooner by using the radiator temp to set the return temp rather than the freezing air passing through the external last. Most everyone else runs the radiator then external cooler or just the external cooler.

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

isent the tranny cooler right behind the bowtie?

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nope, that black cooler in front of the radiator and behind the grill is the factory engine-oil cooler.

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run just the external cooler because I found that if I was working the tranny hard, It would overheat the engine. I went to the external only and the motor stopped overheating.