Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny cooler?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Apr 3, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i have a funny question.. i got my truck a few months ago, put some new 33's on but still have 3:08's i was wondering how can i tell if i have a tranny cooler already on my truck?,, there's this little radiator thing right behind my grill (infront of the radiator).. is that a tranny cooler or could it be something else?.. i took a drive up to the pass yesturday and it sucked hardcore with my gears.. i'm really concerned now and looking for some 4:56's but in the mean time i want a tranny cooler (unless this think i'm seeing behind my grill is already one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could be oil cooler, could be AC condenser, could be tranny cooler.

Trace the plumbing on it -- if the lines go to the tranny, bingo.

Factory tranny coolers, however, are *built into* the radiator -- which some people loathe, as it will only cool the tranny fluid to the temperature of the radiator.

Regardless of your gears & such, an external, separate tranny cooler WILL help your tranny live longer.

-- A

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tranny cooler:

[​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If it looks like a factory setup then chances are it's an oil cooler. Like Dremu said, follow the lines to their source.

R72K5- Just so you know, there are two styles of auxilliary tranny coolers on the market. The one you posted is a tube-fin design. Most people opt for a stacked plate cooler nowadays, which looks just like a miniature radiator.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

My 90 has a factory tranny cooler behind the grill. It was part of a tow package.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If it looks like a factory setup then chances are it's an oil cooler. Like Dremu said, follow the lines to their source.

R72K5- Just so you know, there are two styles of auxilliary tranny coolers on the market. The one you posted is a tube-fin design. Most people opt for a stacked plate cooler nowadays, which looks just like a miniature radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]
    uhmm,.,.. i said stock factory, my pic is of a 78 one, ive come across alot of them, im not sure what you are talking about as far as stacked kind or whatever
    emoo is talking about stock type and thats what i took pic of

thanks

7. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an 82 and I have a setup like they explain at the top and I traced the lines and they run to my tranny so all you can do is trace the line ....Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all GM vehicles with auto trans have at the minimum the integrated style trans cooler radiator, the aluminum aux cooler i posted pic of is the optional add-on style cooler avaialble option from GM for many years, vehicles with this cooler also still have the passenger side integrated cooler in the rad tank

9. Can Can

HMMMMMMM...... good info. I wasn't aware that at one point in time the optional factory tranny cooler was a tube fin design. I've never seen one like that before except as an aftermarket add-on.

10. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys i'll check that out.. I was also looking for an external one if this i'm looking at is just an oil cooler, and i found some on JC Whitney for around $160, i guess i want to go with aluminum cause they cool faster but what else do i need to know? I figured the bigger the better, and what the towing rate is rated at? but is that all?

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Must be my eyes, but that pic is of a tube-finned and not a stacked plate.

THey claim a stacked plate is 30% more efficient, but I've personally never checked.

Im putting in a third tranny cooler- In radiator, factory aux, and a 10,000 Stacked plate. Why so many? My theory is , if your tranny is heating up, it can only move so much tranny fluid- The max that the pump can throw out. Even if you have a 50,000 cooler, it still cant move faster than whatever its max through put is. (and if you've ever removed the hose and put it in gear just to see, its not exactly like a garden hose). About a quart a minute is my rough guestimate. on a large cooler, you could probably squeeze in almost half a quart. I figure that with my combination, I should be able to get that quart to cool a fair amount before heading back into my tranny.

just my unsubstantiated, uneducated two cents. Im sure if someone was scientific enough, they could put a temp probe before the start of the cooler, and a temp probe in the return line of the cooler. That would be the most definitive source of effectiveness.

12. Lane

Lane Registered Member

Emoo99-
    Find out if your truck does indeed have and external trany cooler besides the one in the radiator( all you have to do is follow the lines or disconnect one and if its redish then its a trany cooler) If it is a trany cooler then you may not need a new one. Get a Trany temp guage and see what she is runniing at. A trany Guage is a must if you are going to be working the truck at all.

Hope it works out for ya

-Lane

13. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    Must be my eyes, but that pic is of a tube-finned and not a stacked plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that's what I said...... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

doh, my bad! Though Im almost certain mine is tube finned and not stacked plate. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Thats why Im adding one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

you can get a 24K GVW stacked plate tranny cooler from summit for about $50.