Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny coolers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Mar 11, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Inline with the radiator, or seperate? Ive read inline is a bad thing becuase the radiator will put more heat to it before the cooler sees it. On the other hand, Ive heard running a tranny without it will cause the tranny to take a lil onger to heat up and have adverse effects on the clutches.

2. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I went with seperate. If you go to the TCI webpage (somewhat famous transmission rebuilder) they have a FAQ section where this topic is discussed. They suggest seperate unless you live somewhere the temperature is below 0 degree F all the time.

I tested my transmission temperature before and after installation of the biggest B&M cooler you can buy from summit. The temperature before was 220F (measured off the pan using an IR gun) while the temperature after the cooler was 160F. This was after just a 30 minute drive in an ambient of 70F.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yeh Ive read up on it but figured I'd see what the census is around here, I'll be in Alaska, not hot but in the winter its pretty cold.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If its cold I would run it inline with the radiator. Running the fluid too cold can be just as bad as running too hot IMHO. I still have the orginal never been rebuilt 700R4 tranny in my K5. I run my B&M cooler inline with the radiator. Temps where I live get extreme from -20 or colder in the winter to over 100 in the summer. I have no problems with the inline cooler. Tranny stays around 160 under normal driving conditions. If your radiator is in good condition I see no reason not ot run a coler inline. The stock trans cooler in on the cool side of the radiator. It cant pick up too much heat from the radiator If the cooling system in in good condition and working properly.

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Will your tranny warm up if you leave it sit and idle for a while before you drive it? I was told once that if you leave it in neutral that the fluid will circulate through the tranny and warm it up before you drive, any truth to this? I would like to run an external cooler seperate from the radiator but we frequantly have months at a time in the dead of winter where it never gets above 0 all day long and many times is well below 0, could it warm up enough idiling to not hurt the tranny?

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

are you guys saying Bypass the radiator all together, and just run a trans cooler infront of the radiator?....

If so thatll make a Aluminum radiator a lot less expensive....

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Inline = with the radiator....seperate bypasses the radiator

Here comes foot in mouth, I'm not a tranny expert but how much extra fluid is circulating in neutral over park. Far as I know park only engages the park pawl it doesn't shut down any fluid circulation, in other words since the pump is pumping the same amount of fluid is still moving right?
    George

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ive got a few buds with souped up rigs and they all run theres bypassed and there tranny runs cooler. Cruised the beach in my buds K5 and his 350/205/203 was 160* on a sunny day, temp. was almost 90*..and that was while out wheelin. I can see it being beneficial to have it inline during the winter, the radiator essentially preheats the fluid before it hits the tranny.

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

BINGO!!! In -30' temps my tranny won't even engage unless the truck warms up for about 5 minutes.

Another advantage of running it through the rad cooler is that on shorter trips through town in cooler weather it helps burn off any accumulated moisture in the ATF.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, heres some real world... i went without the rad last spring.. i'll be going back thru the rad this spring..

it was fine, but a nuisance getting to temp this winter.. it runs 160 when warmed up, but takes some to get to that.. as long as it gets hot enough to burn moisture off.. and as Paul said, it'll do it quicker on those short trips..

i figure by running back thru the rad i'll get about 180 in the dead of summer, which'll be fine too.. need to get around to going with electric fans collecting dust downstairs and ditch the mechanical...

[​IMG]

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

anybody ever used the coolers with the electric fans? Something like 30,000 GVW. They have a thermostat for 160 and are only 115$ in jegs.