Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny coolers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Aug 30, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Anyone familiar with Hayden Transmission Coolers from Autozone 59.99 lifetime warranty. Little weary of Autozone parts. What brand is the best and where to buy?
    James

2. James

James 1/2 ton status

Alright Guys,
    Since no one responded. I went and bought the Hayden at lunch time. Don't quite understand where to mount. In front of radiator as in behind the grill or on the radiator in front of the fan. Come on now where are all the old hands, enthusiasts, addicts, or anyone with knowledge of mounting this damn thing. Someone respond. Don't make me throw temper tantrum
    Peace
    James

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I, uhhh dont really have experience with Hayden. Is it a rail type cooler? What are the Dimensions? Most coolers are mounted in front of the radiator, you can use the radiators supports to attach to. Mine has the OEM cooler plus an added rail cooler mounted in back of the front bumper. The front trim angles air down that way. I also used spacers to get a 1/2" gap to gain more flow.

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

mount it behind the grille.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Alright i think I got the exact same tranny cooler you have. Is it for a class A motor home towing 10,000 lbs? Anyway you mount it behind the grille and you can use the zip tie mounts but I dont know how good they are. I just used some strong zip ties and mounted the tubes with them to some holes that are already in there. You will need to get some hose clams because they dont come with it. When I got my tranny cooler, my tranny had been slipping a little but ever since I put it on it hasn't so it must be doing a good job. I hope this helps

90K5

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a Hayden Stack plate cooler and I'm very happy with it (actully two of them one on both the 75 and 79). I Personnaly got the stack plate because it is more efficent that the tube design. Basicly I got on rated for 10,000 lb towing but it's only an inch thick 11.25 wide and 8 somthing tall. I didn't like the ziptie route so I made a bracket that attaches to the center brace behind the grill and the otherside is attached to the core suport. I got mine at Pep Girls and I belive they were around $60. Hayden also makes a tranny temp gage and I have had good luck with them also.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. James

James 1/2 ton status

Grim,
    The temp gage sounds like a good idea. How is it installed. Can you keep the original tranny pan. And where did you mount the gage
    James

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The sender is installed into the side of the stock pan. it comes with a fitting that you just drill the hole and install. Pan has to be off of course. Nice thing about it is you can use it as a drain if you ever have to service the tranny. I mounted mine on the driveside of the pan as far back as I could so that it would get some protection from the cross member.
    The gage comes with a mounting bracket and I installed mine under the radio sort of above your shin while you foot is on the gass peddle. the side of the gage was exposed so I took a plastic top off a rattle can and made a skirt to cover it and make it look better.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/