Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny cover differences

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Nov 10, 2000.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys-

I found a cast Aluminum tranny cover in a wrecking yard - I think it was out of a 90 Suburban (probably a 700R4 Tranny??) I was thinking of getting it (along with another identical to it) to put on my 72 K5 with a T350. Are there any differences in any of these covers - ie will a T400 cover bolt to a T350 case bolt to a 700R4?

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

NO!!! all of the tranny covers are very different and will NOT work on each other!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Igor,
    The inspection cover you found sounds like one for a 700r4, as the 700 cover is aluminium and the TH350 and Th400 covers are made of sheetmetal. The 350/400 ones are interchangeable, but the 700 one isn't. BTW The cover does not provided any structural support, it is just a cover. I've seen many cars running without covers on them. I can't imagine why the 700 one is aluminium. Also aluminium is very brittle and would provide very little in terms of protection.

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!