Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

@$#^ Tranny Crapped Ouot on Me Today, Wife Wants Me To Trade K5 In...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Aug 8, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I thought it was starting to slip on me a couple of weeks ago, but the problem cleared up.

Then on the way back form the chiropractor this morning, when I tryed to leave out at the red light, it reved a little high, then felt like the tires were grabbing pavement. It did that twice, then just got to slipping REALLY bad. I could only get it up to about 45 and pray I didn't have to stop again.

Now the wife is bitchin, wanting me to trade it and my old 70 stepside in on a new/used s-10 or something.

I cannot make her understand it is a hell of alot cheaper for me to pay $700 for a rebuild (me taking out and installing), than to go $15000 in debt /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

she just says "you fix that, it'll be something else."

hell I figured up on the computer all the money I put into my K5 last year vs. what we spent on her Tahoe in service and payments, and I spent $6949 on mine, and $11510 on hers! Most of mine was "want to" stuff that I did.

I just can't stand the thought of ANOTHER payment...I already pay $600/month for her dang Tahoe!

sorry, just had to rant a little bit! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So you already pay $600 a month for 'her' Tahoe...and she has the nerve to tell you what to drive, when to sell it and what to buy next?

The K5 is 'yours' isn't it? Get the tranny fixed...and if your wife bitches much trade her Tahoe in because it's costing too much./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The K5 is 'yours' isn't it? Get the tranny fixed...and if your wife bitches much trade her Tahoe in because it's costing too much./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The K5 is 'yours' isn't it? Get the tranny fixed...and if your wife bitches much trade her Tahoe in because it's costing too much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen brother Rene /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

Sorry, but when it comes to the vehicles in our family I make the decisions. I'm the one that works on them...

Anything else I'm all ears, but nobody will ever be able to tell me when to sell my truck, not even my wife.

I'll likely either die in it or get buried in it.../forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll likely either die in it or get buried in it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that aswell.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with rene its your blazer right? she has her tahoe /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif you just tell her you are keeping the blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The K5 is 'yours' isn't it? Get the tranny fixed...and if your wife bitches much trade her Tahoe in because it's costing too much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll likely either die in it or get buried in it...

[/ QUOTE ] Thats exactly how I feel... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The last time your wife had a problem, did you trade her in?

Repairs on these vehicles is much cheaper than the payment on a new truck/SUV. Your tranny repairs will cost less than two months paying on a new truck. Even the depreciation on a new vehicle is more than the warranty is worth. You can replace your whole engine and tranny out of pocket for the difference between a new warranted vehicle and the same one a few years old.

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Your not gonna get squat trying to trade it off with a bad tranny anyway. You are still going to have to fix it either way. Tell her that.

11. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

1) Sell Tahoe for Payoff.
    2) Trade Wife for new Transmission.

Problem Solved. (I wish I was as good at solving my own problems as I am at solving other peoples'... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Just Kidding! I'm pretty lucky in that my Wife lets me handle the vehicles. Like someone else pointed out, it's ME out there under the Durn Thing rolling in Tranny Fluid so she doesn't much care as long as she has something dependable to drive when she needs to get somewhere.

Sal

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It appears you are the one with the money-smarts in the family. (and you can tell her I said so /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...you calculated money spent, and didn't give in to the trade in)

She does know that trading a non-running or low dollar value vehicle in to the dealer is giving it to them for free, right? (had a friend that worked at a car lot)

There are some major advantages to new vehicles, (comfort, economy and power) but those are easily offset by the lower cost of maintaining an older vehicle if you already own it. How often do you replace a $700 piece on one of these trucks? 5-10 years minimum with normal use?

Let her drive what she wants, and you drive what you want. It is a hell of a lot better to be free of debt than in it. Debt will bite you in the rear should something unexpected happen.

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The last time your wife had a problem, did you trade her in?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was exactly what I was going to say!
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your not gonna get squat trying to trade it off with a bad tranny anyway. You are still going to have to fix it either way. Tell her that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is just too true. I got $800 for my '86 K10 w/ a built 350 (meaning all new components, edelbrock intake, heads, carb. etc. etc.) The tires I had on it were worth more than the $800 they gave me... unfortunately I was only 17 and Mom and Dad said it had to go for a more "economical vehicle" ('95 Dodge Intrepid). well... to make a long story short. The tranny on the car blew my first hour of ownership ($3,000 repair bill) The water pump blew in a month ($800 repair bill) Then the brakes went along with another tranny a few months down the road... So I got rid of it for an S-10 Blazer... here we go with another story /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Anyways... just keep the Blazer, you'll save much more money that way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1) Sell Tahoe for Payoff.
    2) Trade Wife for new Transmission.

Problem Solved. (I wish I was as good at solving my own problems as I am at solving other peoples'... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Just Kidding! I'm pretty lucky in that my Wife lets me handle the vehicles. Like someone else pointed out, it's ME out there under the Durn Thing rolling in Tranny Fluid so she doesn't much care as long as she has something dependable to drive when she needs to get somewhere.

Sal

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

damn, I better not let her see that...that's funnny as hell /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I put my foot down /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I will NOT be getting a new truck.
    I'll drive my rust-bucket 70 model stepside until I get the K5 going again.

She's pissed, but going along with it. I just cannot get her to understand that there is no way in hell I will ever spend more keeping this thing running than I would making payments on a new one.

I told her I'm going to start spending $600 a month on the K5, and by the time we get hers paid off and its starting to fall apart, mine will be bad-ass /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. tRustyK5

She may be pissed...but I bet it felt good to do that./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

16. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...It is a hell of a lot better to be free of debt than in it. Debt will bite you in the rear should something unexpected happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that. I own a '92 Conversion Van and my '77 K5 outright, and I'm about to be living in them. I'm glad we didn't buy a new van when we paid off the '92. Hell, it's got a TV/VCR and a nice big bed in it, so as far as [Chris Farley Voice] "Living in a Van down by the River..." [/Chris Farley Voice] goes, it won't be so bad.

Keep the K5. You never know when you'll have to live in it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    So you already pay $600 a month for 'her' Tahoe...and she has the nerve to tell you what to drive, when to sell it and what to buy next?

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Booy, I sure hope Rene's Wife never reads this!

(...stepping off same limb Rene is standing on...) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That was plain funny Rene. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. tRustyK5

**looks over shoulder** Hey...I wear the pants in this family!!!/forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Parts to do a rebuild on a TH350 is $125 including a rebuilt converter.
    Now that's not going to count anything other then clutches wrong. To me your symptoms sound like the splines ripped off the Sator. I picked up a used pump, foward drive drum and Sprag for $75 from the local small time tranny shop. That was 4 years ago and I wouldn't think twice about driving the truck cross country.

Tell your wife to stuff it. Even if you have to pay to get that tranny rebuilt it's still going to be less then a couple car payments and what's to say your not going to have a bunch of problems with what you replace it with.

To give you an example I bought a 88 Sub with 74,000 original miles. THis thing doesn't look like it's over 2 years old. VERY well maintianed. Well it wasn't used much in the last couple of years. Maybe 1200 miles in 2 years. that's 3.5 tanks of gas.
    I'm not at all unhappy with my purchace but sitting did this truck no good. I have a cooling problem right now that looks like I'll be buying a new radiator, I already had to replace the EGR. Alternator crapped out as well. I have done a bunch of other things and probably put $500 in it not counting the radiator.

Fix what you got if your otherwise happy with it. It will be cheaper in the long run. My wifes running joks when we both had K5's was....Trucks broke...need another $35 bucks. It seemed like everytime we had a problem that's about what we spent for a long while. That doesn't count the tranny's that both trucks needed rebuilt. and the used crate I dropped in her's.

20. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now the wife is bitchin, wanting me to trade it and my old 70 stepside in on a new/used s-10 or something.

I cannot make her understand it is a hell of alot cheaper for me to pay $700 for a rebuild (me taking out and installing), than to go $15000 in debt

she just says "you fix that, it'll be something else."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dr. Phil would say: It's not the problems it has and the money you spend on it, it's the time and attention you give to it and not to her.

But I'm with the others. For the money you spend on payments you can upgrade broken parts and still be ahead. And if you trade it in the dealer is only going to send them off to Blazer heaven. Keep it on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif