Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny crossmember

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, May 30, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

What is the reason for those long spacers on the tranny crossmember bolts. I mean, can't you just bolt the crossmember to the frame with regular bolts? I understand you need them between the frame and the crossmember if you drop the transfer but if you don't then what is the purpose of these?

Also, lately I am getting some popping/snapping/cracking noises when turning and when I tighten up the crossmember bolts it goes away but after a week or so it will come back. I will try to put some locking washers on it to see if it helps. It seems that it started after I welded my rear diff. so I'm thinking that the extra twisting or stress on the frame from turning both the rear tires are causing this.Has anybody else experienced this. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Anyone /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I had a real bad popping cracking noise that I had a hard time tracking down. It ended up being my 3 1/2 in aluminum rr lift blocks. WD40 and loosening & tightening the u bolts would work for a day or two, then the noise would be back.
    Fixed it with ORD 4 in shackle flip. No more blocks-No more noise