Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny died today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Nov 12, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

well me and my buddy went out to find a bit of mud today. found some. almost got stuck. and lost reverse in my tranny. andone know about how much it is going to run me to get it rebuilt? gotta get it dont soon cuz this is my DD. oh and ill try and get some pics later.

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Buy a $300 car that will get you around long enough to do a manual swap in your truck. Another auto tranny will just go out another day. Might be years from now, but it'll go out.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

700R4's aren't cheap to rebuild compared to Th 350's. I would guess around $500-$800 depending on your area

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just had one rebuilt here for $650, but i also got what i paid for, not perfect, some issues with starting out in second gear,,,but anyways, they are running around $1000-1500 for a complete rebuild with upgraded components, this does also include the complete job though, drop off the truck, and pick it up a few days later.....:D

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd just do the standard swap, esspecially with a 6.2L. An auto hogs a ton of power from that thing, and a standard makes them a lot better to drive.

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

You can buy a cheap DD car and swap to manual for way less than what the rebuild would cost, then you can sell the cheap car when you're done. If you're resourceful enough, you'd be money ahead to do this. But if you just like automatics more, than you're screwed IMO. Either way, I'd be hitting craigslist right now.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The good local place here gets $850 for a TH400 if I bring the tranny in.

Obviously a 700R4 would be different, as would bringing the whole truck to them. YMMV.

-- A

8. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

hmm... IF i do go that way, the standard swap that is, im thinking NV4500... for the OD... but the sm465 is probably cheaper and is fairly bulletproof from what i have read. so which is easier to swap and will my RPMs be low enough on the highway with the 465?

oh and long term im lookin at 38 or 39s and 4.56 gears. maybe i could go with 4.10s and the sm465 and that would keep my rpms lower?

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

39s and 4.56s with an SM465 would put you at about 2400 rpm at 60 mph, while 4.10s would put you at about 2100 rpm at 60 mph. Either way, you wouldn't want an OD transmission, and an SM465 would be your best selection, even with the diesel engine.

If you wanted more up and go, and had the money to spend, you could do 5.14 gears with an NV4500, and have both reasonable acceleration, and sit at about 2000 rpm in OD at 60 mph.

So, if you want to stick in the 4.xx gear ratio range, go SM465, if you want to go to the 5.xx gear ratio range, go NV4500.

The better you rear end gearing, the faster you can accelerate, the OD is just there to make the highway driving more reasonable.

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I'd also like to add, that you're probably more likely to break a set of 5.xx gears.