Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Diesel question....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OFFRDK5, Oct 27, 2000.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got a 700r behind a 6.2 Diesel....there seems to be something strange going on. I get up to 70-75 and if I even barley touch the throotle any more it kicks out of OD and down into 3rd which makes some very nice smoke fumes out the back and makes the engine go way up in RPM. Is there something wrong with the tranny? The thing is this tranny has been rebuilt at least once in the mere 60,000 miles it has been driven. Should I look into another tranny..manual or auto? Never changed a tranny out..so how hard is this going to be if I goto a manual?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Maybe the TV cable needs to be adjusted. It sounds like its kicking down to easy.
    A swap to a manual would probably be cool but I think a lot of work. You would need a new flywheel, all the pedal assembly, new driveshafts, plus its a hell of a job. It might be worth it, only you can answer that one.
    If you do go to a manual, try and find one with a matching T-case. I would look at a SM 465/NP205 combo with the deisel. No sense replacing fragile aluminum parts with more fragile aluminum parts [​IMG].
    Good luck

Rene

[​IMG]

3. OFFRDK5

Well..ok that sounds simple enough..but my TV comes in just fine..no static or nuthin?
    Where is this cable? How is it adjusted? Should I just goto a tranny shop or can I make this on my own..or would someone like to volunteer for a job with a case of beer or somthing similar for payment?

SK-15

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a Chiltons here that outlines the procedure. Not very clear but then again its a Chiltons [​IMG] Unfortunately it involves me trying to convey what the picture looks like. This is the text anyways, who knows it might help.

"with the engine stopped, move the slider back through the fitting in the direction away from the throttle body until the slider stops against the fitting.
    release the readjust tab.
    open the throttle lever to the full throttle stop position to automatically adjust the cable. Release the throttle lever."

Thats it, other than a crappy drawing. Hope it helps.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think you're expecting too much from your engine . Diesels aren't designed to go fast just pull and get great fuel economy . Mine does the same thing if I put my foot into it . Also at that speed it over revs the engine and gives a strong burst of raw fuel .You need to gradually accelerate . Hope this helps ?? Just my opinion

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

7. OFFRDK5

6.2...what is your speeds that you drive on the highway at? I get up to 65 and it seems thats about it!?!?? If I get behind a trucker that is doing 75 I can follow him...no not tailgating..DRAFTING.

SK-15

8. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can do 70 to 75 with a good wind behind me . I just ease into it at higher speeds .

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The TV cable might be out of adjustment, but the 700r4's are designed to automatically kick down into 3rd when the throttle is depressed a certain amount (I'm thinking at about 3/4 throttle is when this happens). You normally wouldn't notice this with the gas engined vehicles, but the lower RPM of the 6.2 diesel makes it noticable especially when trying to climb long grades. There is a kit out there to bypass this function and requires full throttle to achieve the kickdown. One of my friends did this with is Suburban which pulled his race car. He liked driving at higher than legal speeds, but the tranny would not stay in overdrive with the amount of throttle required to maintain those speeds with the extra weight. The only problem is that you basically have to manually downshift out of O/D on the steeper grades or it will really dog the engine down.

10. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it is down shifting and not just unlocking the converter.
    The TV cable controls downshifts.
    Pull some for OD to 3rd a full pull causes a double downshift to 2nd.
    To adjust see pictures on bowtieoverdrives.com site.
    You have to remove pan and see the plunger the TV cable controlls.

The converter lock up current is interrupted when the throttle position sensor senses a agressive amount of throttle opening. It is just a switch and can be adjusted.
    On gas engine it is vacuum controlled but on diesel it is just a throttle position switch.

make sure both the TPS and the TV cableare properly adjusted.