Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Drop

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ledfoot, Dec 22, 2000.

1. ledfoot

ledfoot Registered Member

I need to drop my tranny. How hard is it to pull a 700r4 out? Do I need to drop the t-case first or at all? Or, is it better to pull the tranny and t-case together?

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    You can do it any way you please. I just pulled my th350/np203 as one unit. I used to floor jacks, and managed not to drop it once. You just need to figure out what will work best for you. Make sure you get all of the linkages for the transmission and transfercase, all the wireing harnesses, the tranny dipstick tube, the kick down cables, and anything else that might get stuck when you take it off. I have pulled many a transmission, and I think I have had to replace one of those things every time because I keep breaking them. Ohh, and unblot the torque converter from the flywheel before you unblot the belll housing. Also, if you do them seperately you can probably do it without any jack. Just make sure you have a couple of strong guys under there. Good luck.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

You can pull them together, but they are heavy and hard to ballance. I would pull the case first and then the trans. $.02

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people

4. Jackson 88K5

Jackson 88K5 1/2 ton status

I just did mine four weeks ago. I pulled the t-case first. I even left the exhaust system in place. Be sure to remove the bolts from the torque converter to fly wheel. It also helps to have an extra person to help you balance the tranny before lowering down. Since I didn't want extra bolts laying around when the job was done I got some of the wifes sandwhich baggies and put the parts in them labeling them, the memory is the first thing to go [​IMG].

If it breaks, upgade it.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make sure you strap the tranny to the jack so it is easier to balance

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There is a rental place down the street from me that rents a transmission jack for $20/day. I rented it once to pull the t-case and tranny out and then rented it again to put them back in. Unless you already have a couple of real nice jacks, this is money well spent. You adjust the angles in all dimensions to the tranny before you unbolt it. Then, you keep all those same angles when the jack moves up and down. That way, when you go to put the thing back in, it lines up nearly perfectly the first time. Then you can just tweak the anlgles with wrenches while the tranny is up there and you can see everything. Works great and goes down low enough that I was able to get the slushbox out from under the rig without jacking the truck up. BTW: unless you are very strong (and be honest with yourself :-) ) you will still want two guys to lift the transmission to your workbench or stand.

It is time consuming and a big pain in the butt, but the better prepared you are the less miserable the experience will be.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"

7. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

ive pulled out my tranny and transfer case(203) a few times. ive done it different every time. im off on the weekdays so its hard to get help from my buddies cause they are all at work. the last time i pulled them out, i pulled them out together. first i tried using two jacks. this took a while cuz it was unbalanced and had to keep going back and forth to lift and raise the jacks to balance them. then i tied a rope from my door hinge put it through the tranny shifter hole, under the tranny and up through the hole again. i laid under my truck and guided the tranny down as i slowly let off on the tranny and transfer case. there was so much friction against the shifter hole, tranny, and the sill plate where i was holding onto the rope that therope suprisingly did not pull down as hard as i thought it would. it was rather fast and easy. there are oither ways to drop the tranny but with the transfer case on an noone to help, this method worked out pretty good for me. oh, and please be carefull. 350/203 are very heavy.

8. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I just finished putting mine back in today. Only bad thing that happened was I broke two of the header studs, fixed it in a jiff though. I took my 700r4 and t-case out as one with a tranny jack and a floor jack, and put them in seperatly with just a floor jack. Seems to me that doing them seperatly was alot easier. I welded a steel plate to my jack so there would be a little more surface to work with, and left the crossmember on the t-case, when putting the t-case back up I placed a chunk of plywood on the jack to balance the t-case. Worked pretty slick too. Hope it goes well.

<font color=red>If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.</font color=red>