Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny dying fast.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newboy89, May 20, 2002.

1. newboy89

newboy89 Registered Member

my 700-r4 is on the way out, i have decided to stick with it but dont know how to have it made worthy of being in a k-5. so here are my specific questions:
    1-what would be the year that they started making these things strong enough to hold up?
    2-is there a prime year out of there?
    3-what exactilly do i need to tell the tranny shop to put in this baby to make her strong enought to brag about?
    4-any specific torque converter you would recomend?
    5-just anything you think is worth knowing/ worrying about.
    thanks alot guys,
    charlie

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The 88s and up had all the upgrades (heavier 3-4 clutch pacs,better lubrication and other internal mods).
    if you are having a tranny shop build it make sure they know what they are doing with a 700r4. Dont let them talk you into corvette servo or a non lockup convertor. These might work ok for the street. But not so good in a 4x4.

Heres a few links to places I think build good trannys:

tciauto.com These are very good trannys I also recomend their torque convertors.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm#700%20Raptor>The Raptor</a> There are quite a few members here running these trannys. All seem to like them. But I have no personal experience with them. but some good info on how they are built

Read thru these sites and you will get an idea what you want for your tranny. and learn a little about 700r4s

One more thing <font color=red>Get a good aftermarket tranny cooler !</font color=red> Of at least 18000GVW capacity. This is very important to the longevity ov a 700r4.