Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny experts...need your help please...shifter washer???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Jul 23, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

OK, here's a pic of the leaky shifter before and after draining pan. When I try to loosen that nut, that fork looking thing with a roller at the bottom walks up and over those cams. What's the trick to loosening that nut? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: Hey Blue85...leaky shifter...I\'m stuck!

I guess you're talking to me? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It seems to me that the shift detent part will bottom out in the case just past the "1st gear" position. If that doesn't work, disconnect the shift linkage and put a long screwdriver through the holes that the shift linkage connects to. However, this will just release that piece on the outside.

There is also a nut on the inside end of the shaft that has to be removed. you'll have to use an open-end wrench on it. Again, the linkage should bottom out on the case and you can loosen it that way. If it doesn't give, don't put enough force on it to deform the shift detent piece. There is a clip and some other stuff on the shifter shaft that can be removed. There is a flat side on it somewhere...

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Blue. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Let me give it another go tonight...I'll let you know!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, Blue (& everyone else /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif), here's where I am. I was able to get that nut off by bottoming out to 1st gear and putting just a little pit of pressure on it. I pulled the U-shaped braket off and then I scraped out the remnants of what looked like gasket sealant (???) from around that bolt in the picture below...it was clear and there was hardly anything left of it, I mean just a few thin slivers of it. My question is...was that the remants of the washer or is what is in the picture below the washer? I felt around it w/ a small screwdriver and it seems like that is metal to me...it is not rubbery at all.

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ttt

Don't mean to jump over you Blue85...just need some help quick as I need to get my rig back on the road (read: out of the garage before wife kills me /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

6. Blue85

I'm sorry, but I don't remember specifically what the seal looks like on that shaft. You should be able to go to a transmission shop and ask for a shifter seal for a 700 R-4. It sounds like you are describing some silicone, which shouldn't be the only thing sealing it up. It's possible that in the past somebody used silicone as a band-aid instead of actually replacing the seal.

And what good is a garage, if not for wrenching on your truck? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif When you're done, your wife should find you a hero, since you saved hundreds of $$ in repairs by doing it yourself.

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ask for a shifter seal for a 700 R-4.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif .... I have a th-350

8. Blue85

Whoops. My typo. Of course you have a TH350 in a 1977.

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, guys, I think I have found what I need. I called the GMC dealer and the part number he said I need was GM part # 8657163 . He called it a seal, but the tranny place I called before calling the GMC dealer called it an o-ring. Probably the same thing but w/ the 1000's of parts out there I want to make sure I get the right part.

Can someone please confirm that is what I need? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anyone?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got an '85/86 parts manual, it lists the TH350C as I recall, should be the same piece.

I can check for you tonight if you like, hit me with a PM.

12. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

it's called a manual lever seal. they are the same for t350, t400 and t700r4.

13. dyeager535

Well, here's what I got.

Correct info above, they are all the same part #, at least for '85-86

M40 = THM400
    MD8 = THM700R4
    MV4 = THM350C

All use "Seal, Range Sel Man Shf" Group 4.282, part #8623056

I'd cross the number you gave me if I could, but I can't. You may want to call a few local dealers and see if they have it in stock so you can look at it first. It's very likely the number I found has been superceeded...no list for it on gmpartsdirect.com, but the number you listed is there. Don't get robbed by the deealer too bad, GM list is $5.42

I *think* this seal is kind of like a slip yoke output shaft, pinion yoke, etc, seal...steel outer ring that presses in, with a small inner rubber section bonded to it that actually seals against the shaft. Parts manual isn't very clear, but also looks like what I described.

14. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Dorian, I appreciate the help. I ordered one from the GMC dealership, I think it was $5.42 just like you said below. I'll let you know what this thing looks like when it comes in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Blue85

Yes, it's a standard type seal like you see on other rotating parts. Other than that, I can't remember if it has a spring or what not. It almost sounds like this one was missing. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It will be important to drive it in carefully to keep it straight.

16. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Wanted to go ahead and post an email conversation Rene (tRustyk5) and I had about this leaky seal...just in case anyone else might have this problem.

=================================================

attn kris; if it is not leaking that BAD, put the pan back on and drive it. keep an eye on the fluid level. drive it to a shop and get an estimate ONLY. do not get taken
    for a ride. go get info on yur trans. buy a th350 from a junk yard couple of bucs max. take it apart and learn. plan yur attack. as all ways listen to the pro's,
    they will tell you what can not be done and why. then go do it. become a th350 expert.
    rene

p.s. if yu hav a fax # I can send info.

----- Original Message -----
    To: Rene
    Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 11:56 AM
    Subject: Re: trans

Oh, s**t! Not the news I was looking for Rene!

Yea, decision time for sure...hmmm. This is the first time I've ever been in a transmission so I'm a bit nervous/lost. I'll definitely need some more detailed drawings if I decide to proceed on my own. Oh, man...I don't know what to do here. Maybe I'll hit the public library and see what I can figure out.

What do you think, Rene? Is this a job for a rookie to tackle? How much would a tranny repair shop charge to fix it?

As always, thanks for your help!!!

Rene wrote:
    attn kris; the part yu are attempting to change is called SEAL,oil. I do not have a p/n for you.
    getting the seal out with the rod and actuator instld is a problem. suggestions; a local library tech section will give
    yu a manual to photocoy a layout of the parts or a basic tranny manual ie petersens will help.
    yur photos show the outer nut and transmision lever removed. looking inside shows the seal,oil and the range selector shaft. yu have remvd the pan and looking at the interior yu will see the lever also known as the rooster comb
    and a spring lever that controls the detents. the rooster comb is secured to the range selector with a nut. it may also be spot welded. at any rate valve body removal is required to properly service the shaft seal.
    now is decision time, if yu are ok so far carefully remv the vlv body lots of STUFF in there, try not to tip and loose the
    check balls. yu now have access to the rooster comb shaft and seal that yu are going to replace.
    what i have found is a groove, that can be worn on the shaft. if the shaft is pulled out from the outside of the trans,
    the groove can catch and tear the seal, not good. fine file or replace the shaft. getting the old seal out will take some
    imagination. 1/4 drive sockets and bolts may build a puller or it may just 'fall'out. remember the case is aluminum,
    hammers and screwdrivers will gouge. get in a hurry and yur problems will win. blazer will lose.
    good luck
    rene

17. dyeager535

hey *do* make tranny fluid additive that is supposed to fix leaks, but I'm not sure I'd try it unless I was absolutely desperate.

It's been awhile since I've pulled an auto tranny apart, but I don't think that seal would be hard to replace once you pull the pan. Gotta pull some pieces off, but everything inside is coated in oil, and easy to disassemble.

IIRC, the "nail" that they use to hold part of the park mechanism(?) together, is one of the bigger hassles. I probably used a screwdriver to pull that seal when I did it.

18. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, guys...just wanted to give you an update.

After looking at a Chilton's tranny book at Pepboys and calling a local tranny shop, supposedly you can get that seal out from the outside of the tranny simply by using a pick. Easier said than done, right? Right. I tried it last night and for the freakin' life of me I could not get that s.o.b out of there! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I tried every pick I had, at every possible angle and the thing didn't budge.

Sooo, I have sealed up the seal w/ a little clear sealant as a temporary patch...going to see how long that holds up. That will buy me a little time to see if I'm missing something on this whole subject and to possibly get an estimate from a tranny shop to have that seal replaced (now that I've tore it up pretty good w/ picks).

Rene, Dorian, and Blue...thanks for the help w/ this. Rene, thanks for faxing down that diagram...I appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, final update on this one, just in case someone else might have this problem. Finally took it to the tranny shop. I already had the part/seal. They fixed it for $25. Said I would have needed a special tool to get it out and seat it back in...would have cost more than $25 just for the tool.