Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny failure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by funkycold, Jul 31, 2003.

1. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I have a '89 Suburban with a 700r4. I lost 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. Have not had a chance to drain the pan but looked at the fluid. It was red last week and now it is a dingy brown color.

Would I be better off having a reputable shop rebuild this one or go with a new or reman'd unit? Any suggestions if new or reman is the best route?

Any help is good help!

Danny
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif
    Truck pics

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The 700r4 seems to be a tough tranny to keep alive in a 4x4. Time and time again these seem to fail from the basic ones to pro built "heavy duty" units.

Seems I have heard a few people say they were going with the GM unit because of the warranty, may be worth checking into.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Do you have 1st and reverse?
    If so the govener gear is prob. the only thing wrong.
    I just had this happen to my 700R4.
    Check out this thread here

4. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem in my TH350. When I took off the pan it looked like brown/redish oil with a ton of fine glitter in it. It was the drive clutches.

I would either buy a brand new one or try and rebuild the trans yourself with a kit. I had mine rebuilt and smoked it two weeks later when the seal between my t-case and transmission failed. It drove me nuts, it would start slipping after it warmed up but when I got out to check the oil it was always full. Little did I know that when the truck was moving the tranny pumped all the oil into the T-case. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If I had to do it all over again I would buy a new TH400.

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    It isn't necessairly the governor. I had a 700 lose all but 1st and reverse and the whole thing was smoked beyond recognition. Unless you really know your trannies... I wouldn't rebuild it, I tried that once and won't do it again.

6. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I can still go forward in 1st and reverse is fine. When given gas first sounds fine and then it will just rev up until I get off the gas and not shift into 2nd. I do not let this sit as I drive it everyday.

IS the GM tranny the best option. I have read that in some other threads due to the warranty on it from GM.

Danny
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Well...before you spend any cash,check the govener.It's easy and quick...and cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It's a cap about 2.5"-3" wide located on the rear drivers side of the trans,just in front of where it connects to the transfer case.Pry the cap off with a flathead screwdriver and then just pull the gear out.It's that easy!
    Be warned trans fluid will come out when the cap is taken off.

After that I'd check for debris in the pan(clutch material).If there is minimal clutch material in the pan(a small amount is normal,clutches are a "wear" part)I'd check for stuck valves in the valve body.

You can try adding a bottle of "Trans-X" to the trans.This will unstick a stuck valve.

That's just a couple quick and easy things to check before coughing up $1500.00 for a new GM trans.

Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Can I have some of that money your throwing away?

Looking at your pictures looks like you have made #1 one mistake..... You always upgrade the gears in the pigs before you put big meats on. Judging from that 10bolt rear and what appears to be 36's I would guess you got a 3.73 gear at best and you really should have a 4.56 or you will smoke the transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Maybe you got lucky and just need a govoner but some how I got a feeling that gear is there and you cooked the transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

No. I have 4.56 in it now. I also have a M1008 14FF on the way. It has been running good for the last coouple of years and this happened all of a sudden.

10. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bobk I will check that this weekend. DO you happen to have the part number for the gear just in case? Is it a dealer only item?

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    No. I have 4.56 in it now. I also have a M1008 14FF on the way. It has been running good for the last coouple of years and this happened all of a sudden.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wow somebody did it the right way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9 out of 10 times when quized about gears we hear stuff like 3.08 and 35's.

Check the gov...I don't think you even need tools to do it. maybe you will get lucky

12. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

Ok so i checked the govener gear and it shows some normal wear but not damaged. I also drained and dropped the pan. No chunks of metal or fiber parts but the oil smelt pretty burnt and discolored.
    [​IMG]

This is what I wiped off of the magnet in the pan.
    [​IMG]

So I guess i will be calling the Chevy dealer and getting a price on a GM tranny..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

More tranny pics

13. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

As far as I know it's dealer only.I didn't check any trans. shops or parts stores,I'd prob. wasted my time if I had.
    The GM part # for the gear is: 8663995
    There is a rubber band like o-ring that goes around the govener cover as well.It's part # is 15589939.I used my old one as it was in fine shape.
    The gear cost me just under $12.00

Good luck!

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I checked out your trans. pic's.
    It don't look too good /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    That's quite a bit of material in the pan.Along with the burnt and discolored fluid it"s prob. toast.
    The TV cable didn't break or come disconnected did it?
    If not I guess you need a rebuild/new trans.
    Sorry /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

BTW, did you have a tranny cooler? If so, what size?

I always ask this question... not cause I know anything, but Im trying to predict if and when my tranny will croke. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. cris

cris Registered Member

did you put in a shift lit resently Cause the same thing happened to me and after I put the shift kit it worked for a week or two then I lost 4th driving home then 3rd and after third I drove home abpit 15 miles an hour so I wouldn't fudge anything else up anyway my problem was when I reset the TV cable I didn't do it right. I have conections here in San Anotnio TX I rebuild mine for $175 actuall paid 350 for the entire thing rebuild the firsst time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif just make sure you have the TV(throttle Valve )cable set right. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I had the stock cooler and it started leaking about a year ago so i replaced it with a 20,000 gvw cooler and have not had any problems with it.

It seems like there were no signs of a problem coming, it just happened all of a sudden.

18. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

No shift kit and from what I can see the TV cable is still intact.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Every tranny I've ever pulled apart has that sludge in the bottom of it. Some of it has to be normal, since the clutches wear just like the brakes or manual tranny clutch, and has to be contained in the pan. It just seems like people are surprised to find junk in the bottom of the pan.

Of course at some point it is excessive, and if the fluid is burnt all of a sudden, you know there's a real problem.