Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Filter and Cooler Installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just installed a big ol tranny cooler (STupid tube and fin, autozone no longer carries stacked plate because nobody was buying them, they said too expensive) and a permacool auxiliary filter with temp gauge. (40 bucks from summit?) I originalyl just wanted a temp gauge, but what the heck right?....

To me, this was the easiest path- not too much modification, I just had to route the cooler/filter from the stock cooler built into the radiator in the most "recommended" way: (The instructions say to route filter first, then radiator, then cooler, I did it from radiator, to filter, to cooler). This however doesnt give the most, "Acurate" reading- The most accurate reading would of course be in the tranny, then the second most accurate reading would be from the "out" line from the tranny to the radiator.

I felt it was a good compromise- I could tell the approximate temp of the fluids; while not the precise way to do it, if my tranny temp was 300, and my engine says only 180, there is no way the built in radiator could lower it more than a few degrees given the flow. (and believe me, I lost a gallon of fluid in 10 seconds).

The Gauge is pretty cool, I havent hooked it up yet, but there is a threading for it right in the filter head. The filter gets HOT. I was really surprised at how hot the tranny was getting. (I was also surprised at how dark my tranny fluid was looking, so at least there is 5 new quarts of fluid running around). The filter then sends the filtered fluid to the tranny cooler (9x11) and then back into the return line for the tranny. Filter is either a permacool filter, or any Ford FL1A filter. I think the filters are good down to about 10 micron, which isnt nearly as good as a bypass filter but better than the "in pan" filter, but the ability to change your tranny filter with every oil change, and I would have to add at least 1 quart of fluid as well.

Fresh fluid=good fluid!