Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, May 10, 2005.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

Ok while reading all the crazy storys from the weekend I thought I would share one of mine because it is the strangest thing I have seen. My buddy has a buggy with a 450hp 350 and a th350 tranny. Well the tranny is going out and not wanting to move the buggy, reverse works fine but not forward gears. Anyways we had to move it over the weekend and he backed it up and tried to go forward, reved the engine to 6k and the buggy started to move some. After a min white smoke pours out of the vent hole on the top, then a 2 foot flame starts shooting out. Everyone just started laughing. He backed off the gas and the fire went out. Later he starts puts it in gear and the tranny catchs and drives. Well just wanted to see if anyone else has had that happen, it was a first for me.

2. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

What he did was weld the clutches together inside the transmission and the flame was cause by the hot ATF hitting the super hot clutches. Yes I have seen this but after that the transmission is usually unrebuildable because so many of the parts were damaged and it was cheaper to start over with a core trans. From my experience with no forward gears it was the forward clutches that were starting to give trouble.

Bigred81

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

one other cause is having a rubber fuel line inside your transmission. (dyeager535,coloradok5.com) :crazy: