Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Fliud change, need advice how to get it all out!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennett, Jan 5, 2001.

1. bennett

bennett Registered Member

I want to change the tranny fluid in my 90 Jimmy(700R) and want to change all the fluid, not just the pan. I did a search on this BB and came up with no posts. I want to correctly get all the fluid out of the torque converter, tranny etc. Any ideas? Can it be done without special equipment?

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I don't have any specific knowledge about the 700R, but I have a TorqueFlite in my Dodge Ram. It holds about 5 quarts in the pan and another 12 or so in the trannyh itself. There is NO way to get the extra 12 quarts out WITHOUT special and expensive equipment.
    If you can find a shop to that has the equipment, go for it, but I just drain what I can and put in new Mobil 1 ATF.
    -- Mike

3. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

You gotta be very carefull about this idea. I was warned on this board about this, I kinda didnt belive it but its true. If your fluid has not been changed regularly (at least once a year) then you are going to have a high amount of carbonized sludge in there. The new oil has so much detergent that it will remove all this stuff. The oil in the pan will be thick with sludge, it will then clog your new filter and your tranny will run dry. Heres what I'd do: Drain the pan, install the B&M drain plug, leave the old filter in there fill it back up. Drive it for 15min to dilute the oil. Drain it again, fill it again, drive it again. Do this a few times so you can dilute the oil back to new. Now drive it for 100 miles to really clean it out. Now clean the pan(you wont belive how much crap will be in there), install a new filter and be done with it. Now just change the filter every year and you wont have to do this long process each time. To "flush" the converter you would have to run the engine and place a tube where the filter goes and let the tube pick up fresh oil out of some container, the old oil would go everywhere it just isnt practical. Or you could have a shop do it. If you dont do it right you will probably be shopping for a new tranny soon. I know, I did it. Hope this helps.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

has your tranny ever been re-built? if it has try looking on the convertor it's self the tranny shop might have put a drain plug in it we used to do this 4 every re-build we did that way when you change the fluid you get it all out not just what is in the pan to do this just pull the inspection cover off and use a screwdriver to spin the flywheel and convertor and it should be a3/8 or 7/16 bolt in the convertor

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

5. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Most of these quick oil change places have a machine that they hook up to one of your tranny lines at the radiator that while your engine is running, it will cycle out all of the old fluid and replace it with new fluid. Runs about $80 to do the job, meanwhile they try to sell you on $1000 worth of other stuff you don't really need. May want to check into that. Otherwise, the dilution method mentioned above is about the best method short of pulling the tranny and torque convertor out.

6. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is unhook one of the lines going into your radiator and put a piece of rubber hose (clear is best) on it and run it into a drain pan. Put the trans in neutral and have an assistant start the engine, the trans will start pumping old fluid into the drain pan. As soon as the engine starts, start dumping new fluid into the trans and watch the clear hose and when the fluid starts coming out bright red- you have flushed all of the old fluid out. I have done this several times and never had any problems.

Casey 86K5

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://86blazer.coloradok5.com>http://86blazer.coloradok5.com</A>

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I would be a little leary of useing a full tranny flush. I used to work at a shop that promoted that theary. I had on several occasions the opertunity to REPLACE the tranny on high milage cars. as stated before, the deposits will get back to the pan, clog the pickup and starve the trans for fluid. I made alot of money doing this! I would drop the pan and do what you can.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

8. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Don't do it especially if it has not been changed regularly or has over 100k on it. I used to work at one of those quick oil changes and we did it there. Not a good thing. Lots of slipping trannies and unhappy people. Its not worth the chance just drop the pan and do it that way.

Scott
    78blazer

9. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

Removng a line at radiator is the way to go.

1) Drain the pan.
    2) REmove one hose at radiator.
    3) pour good into dipstick as bad pumps out hose.

This keeps from running dry and is the only way at home to flush the large volume in the TC.
    Draining just the pan just does not get all the old in the TC out.

This is the method recomended by steve ho.mes at bow tie overdrives and he should know.

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I just had mine flushed two weeks ago. I had gotten water into the tranny fluid during a submarine experiment with my K5 [​IMG].

I was trying to change it pan-by-pan and dilute it. It just wasn't worth it. To fully dilute it would taken at least a dozen changes, if not more. New filters were costing me $15 a piece. You can do the math [​IMG].

I called around (no Pep Girls had a machine for it and wouldn't do it) and finally found an AAMCO that would do it even though they don't have a machine. I can only assume they did it one of the ways described on here.

So I would flush it either at home or take it somewhere and get it done. It ran about $100 including fluid and new filter. If you take it in, you also have an "experienced" guy looking at the fluid/what's in the pan (if anything).

Just my two cents.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have a much more thourough method then any of those mentioned above. For those interested, the steps are as follows:

-drain transmission
    -remove exhaust
    -remove cross-member and transfer case
    -remove transmission
    -remove every single piece from the tranny and clean it (there are hundreds, make sure you get them all!)
    -send the torque converter in for rebuild and buy a new one
    -reassemble with all new frictions, new oil pump, new sprags, etc.
    -put everything back in the vehicle
    -fill with almost 3 gallons of your favorite brand of tranny fluid
    -rest in the peace of mind that can only come with knowing that your transmission is as clean as possible!

Of course, you probably won't want to bother with this method unless your transmission is completely broken as well as needing a fluid change [​IMG]

What can I say? You asked for suggestions on changing fluid. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! [​IMG] O.K., J/K!

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>