Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny fluid and filter change, how often?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Oct 23, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok how often should i change the tranny fliud and filter? my th400 has about 35,000 mi on it now and i was just wondering.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: trtanny fluid and filter change, how often?

Once a year does me good.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Boudreaux. It's cheap and easy to do.....

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

As far as milage goes, I think its some absurdly high number like 40,000 miles, But I say if you cant rember the last time you changed it, do it anyhow, doesnt hurt and spilling a pan of <font color="red">hot</font color> trans fluid on yourself builds character /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

And while you're at it, install a drain plug, makes it easier for the next time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If it was cheap and easy, my ex-wife would be here. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    $15 for a filter and I run synthetic so I think I spend about $40 for a change plus no drain plug and that can get dicey. BTW, I've got a 700 so I've got to baby it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I would change it soon, I just changed mine and it's cheap enough were it's worth it to do it every once in a while. Also the whole tranny assembly holds about 12 quarts I believe, and when you change it you only change about 5-6 quarts. So if you really want to do a good job change it then change it again a week or two later. That way you will ensure you change most of it. Later