Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Fluid Everywhere....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 12, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Havent drove the blazer FOREVER (like over a year) and the other day I had to move it...so I went down to the river bed 'on my way' Stopped down there for a minute and got out just to check everything out after I had been down there for about 30-40 minutes and there was tranny fluid EVERYWHERE under there!! All over the passengers side of the frame up on the firewall on the passenger side, etc.

So last night I took it to my buddies yard and steam cleaned everything underneath and by the time I got home, I saw there was already a dribble coming out of the front output. I figured when I was in 4wd, it leaked onto the front d-shaft and just threw it EVERYWHERE...
    I cant really think of what else it could be...I havent checked that close again...may have to drive it a little more to see if its coming from anywhere else.
    I know it is coming from somewhere else too, cause my tranny was low on fluid was about a quart low too.
    Any ideas?

Also, whats involved with changing that front output seal? Btw. its a 241

Maybe this is a sign I need to throw the D60/14bff, TH400/205 under there that has been sitting in the garage for the past year /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks!

2. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I have expereinced a similar problem with my 700R4/208. Turned out that the entire thing was caused by a bad seal between the tranny and the t-case. In a 208, the seal is on the t-case input shaft. The extra fluid that was filling the case caused me to blow the seals on the output shafts of the case.
    I would suggest you drop the case and replace all three seals on it.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If the converter seal is bad the torque converter will drain. A pump housing seal being bad will also cause fluid in the same area. The fluid level at rest is above that seal in the truck is nosed down at all or the converter drains back into the pan. The dip stick o-ring seal is in the same area.