Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid in power steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 15, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I was working on the power steering pump in one of my Blazers I bought and the fluid that is coming out of it looks to me like ATF. I'm assuming from other threads that I researched that this is ok. But, should I want to swap in PS fluid, is there any problem with them mixing?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

naw you can mix them they are basically the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im betting that red stuff is that lucas PS "quick fix" stuff. those r my thoughts n e wayz

NITRO

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

on the WTO website, Matt says that he has noticed ATF will dry out and cause seals to crack. JFYI... ive used it before, but im using Synthetic stuff now.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

your power steering is basically a hydraulic pump that runs a hydraulic assist cylinder inside youe steering box. So power steering fluid is basically hydraulic fluid. Automatic transmissions run on basically the same principle with the torque converter acting as the hydraulic pump turning the input shaft. So transmission fluid is basically hydraulic fluid. Now with a precision item like a tranny I wouldn't run anything but tranny fluid in it as it hits very high temps. I have run tranny fluid in my power steering, hydraulic dump beds, our monument trucks crane and liftgate and have had no problems. I have also run tractor hydraulic fluid/gear oil in the above items with no problems at all. The difference being the tractor fluid is thicker and needs warmed up in winter before it will work right where tranny fluid is thinner so it works well in winter but if your cylinders are worn it will leak. Sorry to ramble.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I just run good quality A.T.F. in mine, has about 300,000 mile's on it, and no problem's yet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The difference between the two is that ATF is kinda like a detergent which may go through the seals faster than actual ATF fluid...

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Most P/S fluid w/ stop leak has a red dye in it.