Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid in the t-case adapter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I just pulled my t-case off and about a quart of ATF poured out. I just had both the t-case and tranny rebuilt. Which is my most likely candidate? Is their an easy way to tell -- the seal on the t-case doesn't look bad?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would say the tranny seal is shot.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Did you drain the t-case first? Just removing the bolts on a 208 (and I think the 241) will let the fluid run out, as the holes are threaded all the way into the inner cavity of the t-case. If that's what happened, then it's normal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But if the t-case was drained and the fluid came out of the adapter itself, then most likely the rear seal on the tranny is leaking. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yep, It was drained -- and plenty came out so I don't think it was leaking from the t-case side.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bummer! Sounds like it's time to have a chat with the rebuilder. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I pull my 208 fill plug everytime I do an oil change and let a quart or 2 drain out. Then top off the tranny as needed. Guess I have an automatic fluid change system /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have been told by a trans shop its the rear trans seal. Should fix it someday.

BTW, not to hi-jack the post, is this condition really a problem? what can happen? pressure build up and blow the trans case seal or ?? Havent found anyone say its a real problem yet.

If you just had it rebuilt, you should talk to your trans builder about fixing it.

7. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know what trans you have, but it is normal for ATF to come out of the tailshaft area in a TH350(and others). There is an ATF lubed bushing pressed into the trans body which supports the tailshaft. There is a small hole in the open area below the bushing for the fluid to drain back into the trans pan. If the fluid is only in the adapter, it may be ok.
    Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well, I just called the guy who rebuilt it and another tranny shop and they both said it was normal. It just didn't happen before the tranny and t-case were rebuilt -- maybe that was one of the problems. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif