Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid is EVERYWHERE! Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 3, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

My 700-R4 on my '89 K5 has been spewing ATF all over the underside of my truck when I drive it on the freeway for more than about 20 minutes or so. It doesnt leak when its just sitting or when Im just driving it around town. It looks as if the fluid is coming from the torque converter area perhaps... I really cant tell for sure. It sure does let out a lot though. Any ideas? Things to look for? I am so stumped.

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

On the bottom of the shield (forgot what its called, the round part infront of the pan /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), there should be a hole drilled into that part on the very bottom. I believe it is a weep hole of sorts, fluid only exits if there is a problem. Does the ATF come out of that hole? Fire up the truck, hold on the brake, shift through all the gears, put it in park and slide underneath. It will appear to be coming from anywhere but there, because the wind blows the fluid everyplace. Mine did the same thing, and i believe it was the seal up by the torque converter.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Does the tourque converter function properly?I mean,does it lock-up in 4th?
    My 700R4 is doing the same thing except my T/C does not lock-up anymore.
    It spews tranny fluid all over a highway speeds,no shift problems(yet) and seems to be leaking from the from of the tranny(T/C area,poss. the T/C seal or main seal,kinda hard to tell.)
    It's a TCI tranny and the tech. guys says the torque converter is prob. done in.Although I didn't see any gross amounts of clutch material or metal shavings in the pan.Apparently there is a clutch surface in the 700's T/C and if that burns up there would be some indications at the bottom of the pan,but again I have not noticed any and I changed the filter 3 times in the last 2 months.

Sorry for highjacking your post. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. K5thatShmobs

Yeah, after Ive been on the freeway and Im looking around under the truck, fluid seems to bead up right at that hole on the bottom of the torque converter, and everything is covered in ATF from that point to the back of the truck. You said you had this same problem? Anyone else have any light to shed on this?

As for locking it up in 4th, I havent noticed anything. The truck seems to be shifting through all the gears normally.

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the front pump seal on the transmission. Have you recently replaced the converter, or the transmission?

6. K5thatShmobs

I just bought the truck, and Im not sure on the history of the tranny. Where exactly is the front pump seal? Is there anything else it might be?

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    The front pump seal is behind the front pump, to replace it requires removal of the front pump... which I believe can only be done with the tranny out of the truck. I've never tried to replace a front pump with a transmission still in the truck.

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Forgive my lack of clarity...the seal I am talking about is the seal that is on the FRONT of the pump, where the TC fits on the input shaft. I have always called it the front pump seal...that is the one to which I am referring. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5thatShmobs

Ok, so sounds like the tourque converter seal or the front pump seal? Two different things, or the same? What do ya think.

10. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

Did you over fill your transfer case, there is a bleeder valve that lets out the fluid if there is to much. Might wanna check that.

350/3.73/31"s/208/10Bolts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. nofeartruckin00

The seal that swanson is talking about is the one that went out for me when that little hole started weeping /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not sure how involved the replacement is, because my tranny was under warranty. Instead of Jasper paying for replacement of the seal, they bought me a new tranny instead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you have never pulled apart a tranny before, you might want to have a local trans shop check it out.

12. K5thatShmobs

So does it sound pretty conclusive that its the front pump seal?

13. nofeartruckin00

Couldn't give you a definite yes or no, but from the information you have given, I'd say its pretty likely thats what it is. Good luck!

14. K5thatShmobs

I guess thats a good place to start---woohoo... dropping trannys is a damn good time. Argh..