Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny fluid leak q....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kelboski, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

i've got a moderate tranny fluid leak fron my 700r4...my q is, it looks like its coming from the pan gasket....maybe a dumb question, but is that a common place for a leak from the tranny....and should a fluid change w/ a new gasket fix it? the leak is definately coming frm the back right corner of the pan.
    thanks ...Kelboski

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If the pan is not bent or mangled and the tranny case where the gasket would go is fine, then you should be able to put a new gasket on and be ok.
    Trannies are tricky to get to seal 100%(at least in my experiences)

Make sure you get a 700r4 filter and gasket though. I went to a very reputable parts store once and got a Hasting filter and gasket and it turned out it was for a 200r4 and the difference was that the 200 has a smaller filter...

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I just did my 700r4, the filter and gasket was under 10.00 at auto zone. You'll need to loosen the front pan bolts about half way, then start to loosen the rest till it starts dripping real good, then just let it go till it stops. It's a huge mess and it'll take a while but this will keep you from bending the pan edges. once it stops support it and remove the rest. (the pan still has fluid in it unless you have a drain plug.) empty the pan, clean it real well (watch for any unusual metal pieces) a fine film is normal on the bottom of the pan. Pull the old filter then replace it with a new one. Clean all traces of the old gasket off the pan/tranny then use just enough RTV to hold the new gasket on the pan and reinstall it Make sure you have the front cutaway in the right place where it meets the bell-housing. Tighten the bolts in an opposing pattern a little at a time (the front will feel like it doesn't fit because of the filter) Don't over tighten them, (I used a small ratchet) That'll do ya, and it'll take 4-5 Quarts to refill, I put in 3 then sort of added it as needed for a day or two. Mine leaked like a siv from around the gasket, now there's not a drop. You need to check the tightness of the bolts every couple oil changes.

"who dares wins"

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Drop the inspection cover off the bellhousing if it is wet at the front of the pan. Look up between the converter and the tranny and see if it's wet up there. Not uncommon for the pump housing seal to fail. It sort of looks like a pan leak. Well lets put it this way...I replaced a pan gasket twice on one of mine before I realized it was a leak at the pump.
    Pans leaking is not uncommon. Most often Mechanic caused. Bolts on any stamped cover like a tranny, oil, valve cover should be SNUG not tight. If you over tighten them it will cause the pan to warp around the bols and/or it will damage the gasket. Kork gaskets will expand when the oil or fluid it contains hit them. When I tighten any bolt on things like that I use my 3/8s ratch and I hold it by the head like a palm ratchet so I don't over tighten them. The torg for thos are rated in inch/lb Also tighten in a cross patern like you would a wheel.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

changed the fluid, and gasket, and filter...took my time, and everything turned out ok.....it was the pan gasket...just worn out...the leak stopped...thank goodness....this was the first time i did this...i'm proud...thanks for the info fellows..Kelboski

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hmmm normally when your pump seal is leaking something internally is wrong. The seals on the transmission are there just to hold the fluid in, there should not be alot of pressure so it should not be pushing on those seals. If it is it is probably foreshadowing a bigger tranny problem. Later - Doug

Doug Krebs

7. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

replacement of the pan gasket fixed the leak....Kelboski