Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny fluid leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jun 26, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i took the blazer out tonight i came home and there is tranny fluid all over the back, i think it might be the seal etween the x-fer case and the tranny, how hard is it to replace this? thanks,
    dale

2. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

When that happened to mine, it was because my rear driveshaft was too short. It stressed the main shaft in the transfer case too much and bent that, also cracked the tailshaft housing. I ended up replacing the transfer case and lengthening the driveshaft so it would grab more spline.

About a year later I had a leak between the tranny & transfer case, too, but the fluid didn't travel so far back. With that and the driveline vibes I've had, I decided to go with the JB Conversions SYE kit. I just got the transfer case back in 2 days ago, and ordered a Tom Woods custom shaft yesterday. While I was doing this job, I noticed some things that could have contributed to the leak issue. The brace from the transfer case to crossmember had a broken bolt where it mounts to the bellhousing. 1 of the 4 bolts that mounts the case to the adapter was broken off, the other 3 were pretty loose, and the tranny mount was shot. Upon reassembly I used plenty of Loctite. Replacing the seal between the tranny & case was not a big deal - hardest part is getting the transfer case back in IMO (I had to have my husband help with that).

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

All over the back of what? The tranny? or the truck? My ouput seal leaks like a mofo and there's only ATF right above the seal and nowhere else..

4. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

My seal between my 700r4 and the 208 went bad causing the 208 output seal to leak. Im not sure about other tcase/tranny setups but check the fluid level in the tcase, if it gushes out on you then your tranny/tcase seal needs to be replaced. Its not that hard of a job, just make sure you can get the seal, I had to go to 3 different parts shops before I could find one in stock.

Drop the tcase and there it is. You'll need an input seal for the tcase and a new gasket or rtv to mate the tranny and tcase back together. Its a 2 man job unless you have a good jack to hold the tcase steady. Even though the 208 is alluminum its still haunking big /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good luck

.jason

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

sweet thanks alot man, it really looks like that's waht it is there is no fluid aft of the out put of the transfer case so im pretty shure that has to be it, good idea about poppin the fill plug on the x-fer case, ill do that tonight. I can do it all on base that have lifts and tranny jacks, its like 2 dollars and hour for the bay. really rocks!! thanks alot fot the help, about how long dose it take? and i need a seal for the tranny, x-fer case and a gasket where the 2 bolt together? 700r4 and 241