Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by globaljames, Aug 24, 2005.

1. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

Hi all,
    After a late night run through the Az Desert the other night I am leaking some tranny fluid. Seems like its comming from in front of my xfer case. On the way back my service eng light came on so I checked the fluids they looked ok besides the washer ( but it was dry before )
    Anyone have similar leaks ? Fixes or upgrades to stop this kind of thing. Thanks James

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

check the bolts from teh adaptor to the x-fer case...when mine was reinstalled at the tranny shop, they didn't torque them down (at all is my guess) and they backed out after a day of wheeling...they ended up pullin it off and RTVin it real well.

3. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I also have developed a leak at that location. Is there a gasket between the transfer case and transmission that could be bad?

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I think there's an oring.

5. RAY

RAY 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, there is a paper gasket between the adapter and transfer case.

6. blazinbm

blazinbm Newbie

There's four bolts that attach the mount to the transmission, my blazer is on the injured list because the bottom bolts fell out because they were stripped out. I could not find the leak for about a month, by then it was too late, the back portion around the shaft broke where the top two bolts attach to the mount.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

There is an o-ring between the tailshaft of the trans and the transfer case adapter. That is where I got my ATF leak. It was a simple replacement. Drop the rear driveline. Remove 4 bolts on adapter and slipe the case back a few inches. Drop in the new o-ring and bolt it all back up. No RTV.