Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid leaking from top for tranny??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Jan 5, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have tranny fluid coming from the top of my transmission. It is a 700R4 in a 90 Suburban. After I drive for a bit it seems it starts leaking from the top. Is there a breather up there? My readiator is full, but it seems like it is boiling out maybe :confused: . My truck runs cool, and I'm only driving down the street when this happens? Any ideas?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes there is a vent on top of the case, just after the bellhousing slopes down(IIRC).... Is it overfilled? Or is it possibly getting hot and boiling over?(but usually comes out of the dipstick also if it is boiling)

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its either overfull or overheating. Mine overheated a while back while wheelin and it boiled out the top like yours.

4. KentuckyMudSlinger

KentuckyMudSlinger Newbie

Yeah both those guy are right check your transmission cooler line to see if the have a kink in them some were also check the cooler itself. i had a buddy have the same problem and it was because he had mud cake on the cooler. if none of the works pull your transmission cooler line off the hit the top on with an air snoop and then the bottom maybe its got cloged up