Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny fluid question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, May 8, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i was wondering if most of the tranny fluid was drained if when i removed the cover last summer and replaced the filter.... i heard that there is still a lot left in the torque converter even if you do this... i'm just curious as far as how well this flushed out the old fluid.

thanks,
    matt

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

There should be some left in there, is my understanding. Most shops "power flush" the tranny. They replace something like 3 gallons of fluid, I think. Anyone else?

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

by droping the pan you replaced about half the tranny fluid. as long as the fluid has good color and dosent smell burnt i would say its good to go. unless you have had the trans since it was new and you serviced it regular i wouldnt do the total fluid exchange.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

When I just pull the pan off and change the filter, it will take about 4 quarts to fill it back up. The entire system (depending on what pan, torque converter, etc. that you have) will usually hold about 12 quarts.

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

alright, thanks.

matt