Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Fluid - Stupid Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justpushplay, Dec 29, 2003.

1. justpushplay

justpushplay Registered Member

What's the best way to drain off excess tranny fluid? Seems the previous owner thought more was better. Dipstick reads about 1 inch above full when at operating temp. Thanks.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Try to get that extra fluid out ASAP.Its not good to run a Trans that overfull. It can blow the rear seal and start leaking into your xfer case.
    The easist way I know to remove fluid is to get one of those cheap fluid pumps from an auto parts store they are only 10 or 12 bucks.
    Just put the tube down the dip stick hole and pump out the excess. Those pumps are also very handy when changing the fluid. You can pump most of the fluid out of the pan before you drop it so it ain't so messy.

Your profile says your rig is a 86 so I am assuming you have a 7ooR4. The only other way I can think of offhand to get fluid out besides loosning up the pan. Is to disconnect a coolant line start the engine for a few seconds and run the excess fluid into a bucket.

If you just bought this truck I highly recomend you change the ATF. That way you know what is in there and that it is clean. Who knows what the PO put in it?
    The fastest way to ruin a 700R4 is to run it hot with dirty fluid. You should consider getting an aftermarket Trans cooler. The stock cooler in the radiator is not big enough to cool a 700r4

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dirt cheap, but clean method if you've got enough of it, is to use vacuum or fuel line that you can snake down in there, and siphon it.

I don't like cracking the lines open, always seem to make a mess no matter how hard I try not to.

The fluid pumps (jackrabbit pumps to some) are nice to have though. You can use them to suck fluid out of the radiator if need be, out of the transfercase, out of the differentials, anything.

4. justpushplay

Thanks for the help. I have a pump and plenty of thin tubing so I may use a little of both methods. Thanks again.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

while your at it, put in a tap for a drain plug on the tranny pan. You'll thank me later. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Heh. I have at least 6 feet of hose on both the inlet and outlet of my pump. Never seemed to be a bucket close enough, or the hoses were always too short, and I got sick of it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I think the best option would be to just drain and refill the tranny. When you refill, you can add fluid to the proper level.

8. justpushplay

Thanks for all the input. Used my 12V Jabsco(?) boat oil changer (pump mounted on 5 gal bucket). Hose end would not fit over dipstick pipe so I modified an old spark plug boot and used smaller diameter hose shoved up into the pump hose. Worked like a charm. I will install the drain tap when I change the fluid and filter this week.

Thanks again.