Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid?, T-case leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JF 89K5, Oct 24, 2000.

1. JF 89K5

JF 89K5 Registered Member

My 89 K5 with a 700R4 is leaking fluid from the rear of the T-case where the driveshaft goes in. I check the T-case fluid level and it's never low. Lately though my tranny fluid has been low. My ? is could my tranny fluid be low due to the leaking transfer case? I didn't think the tranny and T-case exchanged fluid, but I know that they both use transmission fluid. I just rebuilt the tranny(3000 miles ago) and there are no signs of leaks anywhere else.

Thanks,

JF

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Here we go again! [​IMG] This problem seems (to me) to happen a lot.

From the info I have gotten, when the 'rear tranny seal'/'front transfer case seal' (they're the same seal) goes bad, tranny fluid leaks into the transfer case from the tranny. This can cause the transfer case to leak fluid out of the back shaft housing.

You can check to see if your transfer case is overflowing by filling up your tranny, and then loosening the fill (top) plug on the transfer case. If fluid comes spilling/pouring/flying[​IMG] out, then the seal is bad and the tranny is overflowing the transfer case.

That has been my take on the various discussions that happen around here about this problem. Everybody feel free to correct me. You can do a quick search on something like "transfer case rear seal leak" or some combination of those to find a lotta threads and messages about it. Hope this helped.

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

3. JF 89K5

Thanks Panther,

How hard is it to replace the rear seal on the tranny? As long as I keep the tranny fluid full, is it bad to drive it with a bad seal?

JF

4. SilverSolder

SilverSolder Registered Member

My '82 just had the same problem. The repair amounted to replacing the seal between the tranny and the t-case. The mechanic told me that there is only one seal and it's located in the tcase.

SilverSolder

5. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I JUST REPLACED MY SEAL, AND IT STILL LEAKS! THE SEAL IS PRETTY EASY TO CHANGE

6. JF 89K5

I am assuming that I have to drop the t-case to replace the rear tranny seal? Do I need to take the t-case apart?

JF