Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazerbilly, Jul 12, 2004.

1. blazerbilly

blazerbilly Registered Member

I have looked everywhere and have been unable to find out how much tranny fluid is needed for the TH350 trans in a 77 K5. Can anybody help me?

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

It depends on what you have. Completly rebuilt with new converter? Used swap with new/used converter? Just changing fluid? If you are just changing it will be less than if the trans was new and just installed. I don't go by any numbers, just fill it to the mark by adding and checking repeatedly.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If it is a new trans with no fluid in it it takes about 11 Quarts to fill it and the Torque convertor.
    If you drop the pan to change the fluid it takes about 5 quarts for a refill. As above post says check your dipstick when filling so you dont over fill.

4. blazerbilly

Thanks for the help. I got the trans fluid reading full but the Blazer still will no shift out of first. I did an engine swap from a 79 blazer to a 77 blazer. The motor is a completely stock 350. There are some vacuum lines and a couple wires that arent hooked up. Could any of these be causeing this. Everything else works, just wont shift out of first gear.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sounds like your vacume modulator isn't hooked up to manifold vacume. If the Vac Mod aint hooked up it wont shift out of first.
    There should be a 1/4" Vacume line running from a manifold vacume port to a small can looking thing above the pan on your trans. Hook it up and it should shift better.

6. blazerbilly

Was looking through the pold posts last night and found the solution to my problem. Hooked up that vacuum line from the trans to the intake manifold and it now shifts.