Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny fluid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Mar 3, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i have heard that replacing old tranny fluid with fresh tranny fluid is bad because the clutch packs get use to not having fresh solvents and the new fluid will cause them to break down. only reason i say this is because a while back i had not replaced the fluid and filter in a jetaway(oldsmobile) transmission for about 3 years, it worked fine and after i did a filter change it started shifting bad, so i tried another filter because i thought that one may have been bad and the pan was full of clutch dust after only one day, thats when my neighbor told me that about the fluid. i just checked the fliud in my truck the other day and it was redish brown and smelled burnt, its been about a year and a half since the last fluid and filter change which was actually a rebuild. should i change the fluid or not

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I have heard that as well, But I also have heard the other side, Bottom line it will be your choice as you well know. I my tranny I will change it next yr then I plan on adding a extra Filter to it and just change that every so many miles.

Eric

3. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

tranny gurus please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif i just spent 1600 bucks rebuilding the tranny a year and a half ago i cant afford to do it again, should i leave it alone or do somthing about it it has a small leak so about every 6 months it needs about a quart of fluid, should i just add fresh fluid when it needs it

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would either change it regularly, or drain ALL the fluid, add Amsoil tranny fluid, and forget about it for the next 100,000 miles.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I hate to say this, but you should have never let your fluid get like that in the first place. If it smells burnt, all you're accomplishing by NOT changing the fluid is maybe prolonging the certain death of your tranny.

Depending on how bad the fluid actually is, you can either do a service or not do a service. A buddy of mine got an extra 10K out of a burnt trannt by NOT changing the fluid.

Regardless of what path you choose, make sure your do a yearly service with your new tranny..........

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Ouch...... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I would take the truck to a quick lube and have it flushed with a machine. It will cost around 80 bucks but it will change ALL the fluid. Be sure to ask them if they use a cleaning or flush kit with their service, it makes a big difference over just flushing in new fluid.

The reason changing the fluid (in rare cases) can cause worse problems is that the fluid actually becomes thicker as it wears out. The thick fluid helps to "stick" things together. New trans fluid is very solvent and thin, like say paint thinner(no it doesn't contain detergents), that is why tranny fluid cleans grease off your hands but dumping 20w50 motor oil on your hands leaves a sticky mess. The new thin fluid can cause the worn clutch packs to slip.
    I have flushed over 3000 transmissions and have never had one comeback, and some were real questionable. In a situation like yours you will need to use a flush kit(cleaning chemicals) and probably about 15-20 quarts of fluid in the machine, but be sure they keep adding fluid until its clean. Don't use the old hook a hose onto the cooler line in a bucket add fluid down the dipstick method. This WILL starve critical components of lube and possibly permanently damage tne tranny. If you want PM me and I can probably find a member of my association in your area who would do the job.

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i did not know it was this bad, i was going to change the filter and fluid when i got back from a road trip, i had just checked it a month earlier and it was fine, so i checked the level before i left on the trip and thats when i noticed it