Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny flush or just filter and refill?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K5guy, Nov 16, 2005.

1. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Hey guys ,what do you suggest?My 89 has 110,000 on the clock .I am not sure when the previous owner serviced the tranny last but from the looks of
    things it was a little neglected.Anyway should i just get a filter change with a refill or filter and a complete flush?It seems to shift good (700R4)and I don't see any leaks.I really haven't looked at the stick for color since i am going to get it serviced anyway.What does a complete flush cost? :D

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think a lot of people are going to say skip the flush . Some of these trannys tend to get screwed up if they are flushed after lack of maintance. If it hasn't been maintained, change the fluid/filter occasionally....but other than that don't mess with it too much :o

3. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Some of my buddies around here have said the same thing but they don't own
    K5's.Thanks for the quick reply! :D

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

take it from all of use. if you dont know then only filter kit and refill. i have used a flush machine at work. thay are good if tranny is in perfect order .

take it for a test drive when warm and give it all she has. if it slips then leave it alone. if shifts fine and no problems under full throttle then do the filter kit.

taking all the crap out of a old dirty tranny with no service before is like taking out all the stuff that is still giving it friction.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

with that many miles on it and not knowing when it was last serviced leave it changing the fluid can cause the tranny to blow up. This happens because the old fluid breaks down over a long time and if you introduce new fluid to it the trans will run at a higher line pressure and blow the pistion seals out causing the tranny to go

6. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

I would only perform a trans pan fluid change,i think it takes dextron 3 fluid-5 quarts

7. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like just a filter change and refill.Thanx for all the input.I get faster response and more intelligent answers from this web site than i do from some of the local parts and service garages around here.Thanx again guys :bow: