Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny for a 1990 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fjleiter, Feb 16, 2005.

1. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Putting together a new engine for the blazer and figured I might as well throw a tranny in as well (old one is original and has over 120k miles on it...)

Found this on Ebay and want to know what everyone else thinks, does it look like it will work ok in a 1990 Blazer? He also has a K case tranny but it's several hundred more. Any benefit to the K case over this one. Egine is only going to be in the 325 horse/350 ft lbs torque range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=7953115912&rd=1

Let me know if I should snag this or not.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

k case is thicker bell and takes the full alum dust cover and uses the brace rods from motor if there. i would always get k case if offered. but only for the right price. but several hundred more what the hell the 700 are a dime a dozon in the yards for cores. i would ask about warrentys and the best conv for your application. and if he sells them how much.

dont puy on impuls its bad and will bit you in the a$$ hard later.

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

all that for 550 bucks. sounds to good to be true and we all know the saying about that... for the K case, dont waste your money. the dust shield is the only difference. as long as your case is good with no defects you wont have a problem.. i would find a local builder and buy from them...

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would make one of a couple recommendations to you.

Buy one of these

1. Bowtie Overdrives

2. GM factory reman. installed by them or someone who they will offer there warranty with.

3. Local build at a reputable shop with experience in HD 700R4's that will stand behind his work.

I would never spend another dime on a 700R4 unless it was one of those 3 options. I am currently on my 6th 700R4 transmission. I am switching to something that will last next. SM 465, NV4500, TH400, 4L80E ... Not enough bang for the buck to warrant another 700R4 rebuild for me.

Harley