Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny for different terrains

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jplagg, Jan 8, 2002.

1. jplagg

jplagg Registered Member

I remember reading a post about times if you would rather have a manual or auto -- i did a lot of searching but could only find the "whats the stronger tranny type posts". i plan on getting a K5 soon, and the tranny has me thinking. at first i was sure about an auto, but then reading about how strong the sm465s are, it got me thinking. I can drive either with no problem, and dont mind a stick one bit. My question would be what tranny is better with which terrain. here in MI, it would mainly be trails, not to steep hills and mud (that can be cleared with stock or slightly lifted height) along with daily driving. Would one tranny stick out as better for these conditions or no? what type of terrains would you really want to have a certain tranny?

thanks for the info
    josh

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I would think that rockcrawlin would call for the sm465... mudding daily driving and trails id rather have a auto... and im pretty sure im gunna convert sooner or later.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: All springs, shocks, and body work

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Think about how critical it will be for you to get in gear and wheher or not your gunna want to shift? That should help you figure out what you want.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

4. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

Personally I prefer an auto for mud, I like to be able to hit the next gear while still hard on the skinny pedal and not lose any momentum. For crawling an auto-edit (manual) oops! hehe seems more suitable, they are inherently stronger (not to say an auto is weak or unsuitable). I guess it depends on your driving style. If you don't plan on roosting in the mud or sand a manual would be cheaper to repair and less maintenance. IMO.

Swimming like a rock, Slinging like a stock, but not for long!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by heaj1 on 01/09/02 11:06 PM.</FONT></P>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

For crawling an auto seems more suitable, they are inherently stronger

<hr></blockquote>

I don't think GM makes an auto that's inherently stronger or more reliable than the SM 465...

Either tranny is capable of doing well, it's really personal choice. I prefer the manual because I know I don't have to worry about it. Having a great crawler gear is a bonus too.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I think he meant to say for rock crawlin manual is better because if you read further he says (not to say auto are weak.... etc...) so im pretty sure he meant the manual is stronger wich i think it is, but auto is more conventient i think, although manual can be fun but i hate bogging and doing donuts in places where there is both low and hiigh traction cuz you rev high in 1st in low traction areas but when you hit high traction areas in 2nd you lug engine and most likely stall if you dont slam in the clutch... this is what happened to me at a place where theres a huge field of just mud and there are patches of dry and mud terain so i had to keep it in 1st the whole time doing donuts and slides and ended up almost over heating the enigne, with auto you aint got to worry about it

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: All springs, shocks, and body work

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i think you need to try low range, for mud i never use 1st gear and you have lower gearing.
    i usually hit it in 2nd low so that is
    3.58 x 1.96 x 4.88 = 34:1
    i have gutless low compression small block so when in doubt it stays above 3000rpm
    if you are in 1st high
    6.56 x 4.56 = 30:1
    and have to deal with non syncro huge jump shifting between gears easier to go low range between 2 - 3 - 4
    the 465 has terrible gear spacing but no way i could ever own an auto vehicle

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though