Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny for my El Camino

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Plans are too swap the 3 speed auto for a 4 speed auto. 3.73 gears are also planned. What is the advantages/dissadvantages between the 200r4 and 700r4 ??? I was planning on the 700r4, but I want too hear your opinions.

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im assuming you have a TH350. a 200 would be a good swap for this because the length is very similar to the 350 and takes the same output yoke as the 350 so you will most likely be able to reuse your driveshaft. The gear ratios are slightly better with the 200, more of a tight pattern as opposed to the 700's low first gear, then a wide jump to second. Also the 200 has a slightly better overdrive, 0.68.

HOWEVER, in stock form the 700 is stronger. Yes I know they came behind grand national, but they came with high capacity servos and some other goodies. 200's were not meant to be behind a v8. If you were to have a 200 built up for you application it would work well, but you could probably get away with a stock 700 with a shift kit. I dont know how much power you are running so its hard to say. Either way, im sure you have a v8 with 300+HP. 300HP is about the limit of the 200. Hope I helped, its getting late and I cant think anymore. Also I THINK the 87 SS elcaminos came with a 200, but the motor was a 305. Pro's and Con's to each.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The El Camino will get a mildly built 327. I'm thinking 10 to 1 compression, Comp Cams 270-H magnum series camshaft, Dart Kool can intake manifold, Dart Pro-1 heads, Stan's Headers, 2.25" dual exhaust, ...ect.

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

A 200 will have to be built up slightly for that most likely to last a while. A 700's weakness comes from the 3rd and 4th gear clutches if I remember correctly(I know its 3rd and 4th but dont remember if the clutches or the sprags or the problem), so as long as your not hammering 3rd and 4th all the time, I think a stock 700 would stand up for quit awhile.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhmm 2004r came behind many v-8's including olds 307, chevy 305, etc, caprices, regals, etc

certain years only

in stock form you cant trust either tranny unless is taken care of, 700r4 were horrible in 82 83 84 and not much better 85 86, but lots bettter in 87 up

2004r were ok all years, trya nd find a v8 one and youll be fine unless youre gonna go and rail the car and burn rubber, then forget it and go with th350 or 400

now if you go and have upgraded parts put into the auto overdrive gm trannies theeeeeeeen you can trust them mostly

thats just how it is,

do soem research, find a gm tech to ask, find sites with tranny sections to ask in and with onboard trans tech members such as at thirdgen.org(camaro and firebirds 82-92)

just go there and search and youll find more than enough info to help you decide on what to do,

trust me

they know what the hell theyre talking about regarding these trannies over there

good luck