Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny from the Bermuda Triangle...freakin bizarre!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Oct 26, 2000.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I have a 700r4 and the other nite my tranny started acting horrible. It would take forever to shift from 1st to 2nd and when it finally would shift it would bang hard. I couldn't even get it to shift into 3rd. Well I haven't had a chance to pull it out because of the rain we've been getting. Yesterday I took it around the block to show my buddy what it was doing and by no suprise it acted the same. Today I drove it down the street and it acted fine no problem, like it never had a problem. I even got onto the gas a lil bit to see how it would react, it was fine no problem. Has this happened to anybody else? I've never even heard of this. I'm totally dumb founded any ideas? I still think it needs to be rebuilt due to the way it acted earlier this week, but to what extent I haven't a clue.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I had a 700R4 straight out of rebuild that did that exact thing. i took it back the next day and they had it fixed in a couple of hours. I'm not exactly sure what they did, but I'll bet it was just an adjustment or a sticking valve/actuator. Take it to a reputable shop and see what kind of estimate or advice they'll give you. Good luck.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Funny you mention that, my FIFTH 700r4 in 224,000 miles is acting the same way you describe. I "think" it might be the governor sticking, as I've heard that a sticking governor will cause this problem. Anyway, I'm swinging it by the shop tomorrow for them to take a test drive. Let me know what happens to yours, and I'll do the same. God, I hate these 700s!!!

ken

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Mine acted like this before from a sticking 1-2 upshift valve. All you need is a tiny metal shaving or little bit of friction material in a valve and everything is messed up. I'm acutally kind of amazed that slushboxes work as much as they do.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'm hearing the same about the governor and any foriegn objects in the case causing this. I'm going to bite the bullet and dump some money into flushing it out and seeing what happens. KEN I'll get back to you after I try this and let you know the results.

I LIKE MY 700r4 AND WILL STICK TO IT...

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Just took the K5 out to the grocery store and to rent a movie and the tranny is still running like a champ. I even got it out on the big road and let it loose, no problem. I'm actually at this point trying to tear it up, to see if it goes through its shifting problem again.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Flushing is good, improved my 700 some. It's nice to know ALL the fluid is fresh, too.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Maybe your detent cable is a little frayed inside the cable housing. I've had a few brake cables do this on my bikes. Not really common but it could be "hit and miss" like you said.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim