Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny front pump leaking??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alaskanbowtie, Mar 22, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

I pulled the dust cover and found the converter to be clean but fluid on the bolts that hold the front pump in, so I figure it's leaking around the front pump(th350) but it was very mild seep until I got it hot the other day when the fan quit working, (to the 3rd mark on guage)now it's leaking more. I have another rebuilt tranny I'm going to put in in afew months so I'm wanting suggestions on how to stop this for a while or slow it, additive or something? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. alaskanbowtie

anyone??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

usually when the front seal leaks, the bushing behind it is worn out and torn the seal up. you could try to clean it up really good and put some silicone on it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif, but you will have to pull the tranny to do it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Mine went from a little dribble to taking 24 quarts of tranny fluid to get me 300 miles to get home from Blazer-Fest. Nothing you can do for other than change it out (which one of the guys did on the side of the hwy that year /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif). As said before most likely the bushing is also gone and needs to be replaced...but the torque converter can also be messed up. I say just cary a case (or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) of ATF with you and a fire extingusher (or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) and drive it till you can get the new one in. The other thing you can do is make sure the vent tube isn't pluged up. It is at the transition of the main housing and the bell housing on the drivers side up high. It isn't easy to see you will have to feal for it. It has no line going to it...it's just a short (1.5") piece of tube jammed in there and bent down. After all the problems I had with my tranny /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifI tapped that hole out with a 1/8" NPT and ran a vent line up hi-and-dry! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. alaskanbowtie

ok first thx for the info, Now a little more info and a few more questions , your talking about the seal between the pump and case (paper one)right? I dont think it's the front pump seal, that the converter slides through, because the converter doesn't have any fluid on it only the bolt heads (holding the front pump in),now the history, I twisted the splines on a converter a while back and pulled the front pump to make sure it was ok, later to find it was the converter, so I put it back with the same gasket because I didn't have another and couldn't get one here for atleast a week.and also a new converter, ever since it has seeped but when I put this new motor in a few weeks ago it's after that it leaked more and getting it a little hot of course, But I didn't change the front pump seal when I put the motor back in because that one looked good. Later I was told your suppose to change those every time you pull the converter / So now you know the whole story? You had also said the converter could be messed up too, you mean the hub that slides through the seal? Also where is the bushing and how do I change it, the tranny is a ripper and only has like 30,000 miles, cost me 1600.00 to have built so I dont want to just trash it, would like to run it for a while longer. Before I switch to the other one I have. SO should I just put the front seal in that I should have changed with the motor out or do you think it's the paper seal between the pump and the case? THX for all the help!!!

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ok so its the pump gasket. the seal i was talking about was the seal around the converter. the bushing is behind that seal.

i would pull the tranny and replace the pump gasket. that is the only way to stop it from leaking. but since you have it out i would put the new one in it.

you do not have to replace the seal every time you remove the converter. it is good practice because it is a pain to replace it (must remove tranny)

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I guess I understood you wrong /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...I was talking about the troque converter seal. If you don't mind the puddle from it I wouldn't mess with it. Not fun to pull out the t-case and everything just for that one stupid gasket. I would still check the vent tube. From my experience the tranny will leak more if the vent is cloged up (and it won't vent through the dip stick because it is under the fluid line...which means if the pressure builds up enough it pukes out on your headers and bursts into flames /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). The vent is a poor design IMO and should have a hose run to it just like the rear diff does.

8. alaskanbowtie

GREAT thx guys appreciate it, will check the vent first!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif