Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny getting hot?? engine got hot wheeling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Sep 25, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

OK blazer runs great on the street, took it offroad last week to play some and did some tall climbs, well it got pretty warm on the top of the climb. (auto tranny) with the temp being normal on street driving and major major heat (gauge was pegged) after the climb and the whole way home, what's the deal? should I put a tranny cooler or try for a bigger radiator or what, not sure of the mix in the radiator now. should probably check that too
    kind of a newbie question I know but it bothered me

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You should run a tranny cooler no matter what. Heat kills transmission's (especially 700's) I'm gonna get a B&M stack plate design for atleast 24,000 GWV.

www.summitracing.com has them for $50-

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Not for sure, but could be a symptom of a t-stat dying. My truck ran great at a pretty cool temp for a while then out of the blue started acting up. Changed the thermostat, drained the radiator, no more prob's. Cheap and sleezy!!!

John

4. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

are the coolers in the radiators good?or should you get a seperate one? and where do you get tranny temp gauges? how do you hook those up,threw the lines?

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

cool, thanxs guys, keep it comin, sorry should have speced, it's s th350 and it is running thru the radiator, but I think that's a must...so I'm assuming the tranny cooler runs in conjuncion with that? or replaces it