Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny gone?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Feb 19, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

i started my truck this evening, drove about 200 ft then my truck stopped moving. Like it was low on tranny fluid. It's dark and cold and i have no idea. My tranny usually leaks but lately it hasn't been, but now it doesn't move. I messed with the transfer case and it grinds if i try to put it in 4hiloc, and my tranny buzzes when i put it in park. Put it in gear or reverse and it doens't put a load on the engine. Please help!:confused:

2. jaredmajor

Anybody? anybody at all?

3. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

If your not low on fluid and it's really cold your fluid is probably slushed up. Try letting it warm up or put a heater under it.

4. jaredmajor

I just checked it and the fluid level is good. It hasn't been that cold here, around 30 or high 20's. It was alot colder a couple of weeks ago, like 10 below and such, but now problems then.

5. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

from the sounds of it your tranny is fine and so is your t case probably put it in drive and have some one look to see if the driveshaft is turning it sounds like you blew the spiders out of the rear diff.

6. jaredmajor

No noise when it happened, could the t-case be low on fluid? My tranny makes this buzz when i put it in park, and i can't get the transfer case to go into lo, i am pretty shure i can get it into high, high loc and nuetral, but no load on the engine, like when it goes into gear. Haha, kind of funny, i went to Wyotech and am Automatic Transmission Rebuilder Association certified, know the tranny really good, just can't troubleshoot the things. Glad i paid all that money for school.

7. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

your trannies buzzing noise is the park pawls clicking as the tranny is still spinning when it is placed into park. I believe you knocked the t-case shifter into a neutral position. My dogs do it sometimes when we are taking them for a ride.

engage the t-case, and you will be off and running.

8. jaredmajor

I understand what your saying, makes good sense, but when i do put the t-case in gear, still nothing.

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

so with the engine off and truck in park, start the engine, place tranny into drive - nothing? then put the tranny into park and you can hear the park pawls click until the tranny stops rotating?

obvoiusly the tranny is spinning. either the t-case is in neutral, t-case is fried, driveshaft fell off, rear-end exploded. some of these will at least make a noise when in drive.

try to engage 4lo and lock in the hubs. anything?

what type of t-case/ tranny?

10. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

also may be easier to engage a t-case when tranny is in neutral.

11. jaredmajor

Ok, so i just talked to this guy and he is pretty much saying what you are saying. I think my t-case is in nuetral and allowing the tranny to spin. He said to turn of the engine and try engaging the transfer case and such, or rocking the truck back and forth while trying to engage the transfer case.

12. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

you didnt say what type tranny/ t-case. if its a 203, get under your rig with some spray lube and soak the linkage. Hell do it to any t-case for that matter. It will shift alot easier.

:wink1:

13. jaredmajor

yeah it's a 203. Hell of a time trying to shift it, i will try that approach though. I will update when i see if it works.

14. jaredmajor

Okay so i looked to see if the alignment of the shifters was right, and they were. So now what, i sprayed it down with brakleen real good, now should i spray some silicone lube on it or something. I think it is only in nuetral and i can't seem to get it into gear, and i have tried pretty hard

15. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

spray the linkage down with WD, or other similar type of lubricant. then grab ahold of that shifter and give'er hell back and forth. it may help to jack up rear end and give the tires a spin to spin driveline which will in turn spin the t-case.

I have never had too much difficulty getting it back into gear and spraying the linkage helps. I have had to get aggressive with my old 203 at times when it was sticky.

16. jaredmajor

yeah i have been purdy violent with her. I was thinking about lifting the front and rear just so i have no problems and just give it hell. I guess hell is calling!

17. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

do this with the tranny in neutral and engine off