Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny gurus, 700r with no ttc solenoid

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by arq, Dec 13, 2003.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i just opened up my 7004 for the fist time in many moons. it's been siting for a while so i'll be rebuilding it. i did notice that it did not have a ttc solenoid WTF. i was told it was a 1990 model. where can i get a replacement and what should i look for when putting it in. according to the atsg it's a BV model. looking at the internals of where wires/sensors should go. it looks more like a "type 6", again refering to the atsg booklet.

any ideas,

ARQ.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I dunno what the "type" means, but I'd cehck with GM for the right TCC solenoid.

I've purchased the "generic" replacements, and was not impressed. As a matter of fact, teh GM piece was cheaper (online) than what I had paid for the "universal" one that didn't fit.

If the tranny is original to the vehicle you are working on, part of the VIN should be stamped into the side of the case. Rear passenger side above the pan rail IIRC. That could at least tell you if the tranny is original, and thus what model you should be working on.

Those ATSG manuals unfortunately aren't very precise sometimes with the different variations, I would expect the right year GM manual would have the EXACT diagram/charts/info for that year tranny.

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I've noticed that there is a number stamped to the side of the case, just above the TCC plug. there is a "6" on mine which corresponds to the "type 6" on my case. I've seen other cases with different numbers and kinda correspond to the internal wiring harness diagrams as those seen on the atsg manual.

looking at the numbers it seems to be a 1990 model, i was told it was a 1990 model when i bought it close 2yrs ago. I guess i got suckered.

where's a good place to get the GM manual at??

ARQ.

4. dyeager535

Best place is ebay or Helms.

Just need whatever year service manual your truck is.

However, since the wiring harnesses changed, I doubt that say an '83 manual will show how an '89 was wired internally.

You might want someone to comment on the 700 section in their service manual. ATSG, Haynes, etc., copy most of their info from the service manual, but I'd want to make doubly sure the tranny wiring is covered in the service manual, and not in some tranny supplement. The tranny rebuild is covered in the service manual, this I know for a fact, but I can't remember if the internal wiring is laid out there or not. It's not in the electrical supplements that I've seen.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i'm not to concered about the wiring diagram. it's just 2 wires to the solenoid and one for the 4th(if any) indicator.

I am more concered about the mods made to the tranny. it seems to be modified, but i am not sure how good of a shop did them.

ARQ.

6. dyeager535

I always wondered how you could tell internally if it's been monkeyed with. I guess for someone thats been into 1000 of them, it is perty easy to spot, but for someone like me that has averaged about 1 tear down a year, spotting signs of previous "tampering" would seem to be impossible.

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

this one was easy to spot. first was the missing harness inside the case. the external wiring was there. for a minute i thought wireless, cool /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif then reality kicked in /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif i don't think techonology is that advanced /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

after a few nights of reading about 700r/4l60 trannys the second thing i noticed was the missing check ball and retainer in the input shaft.

then i went on and checked on the solenoid and the purpose of it. it seems to push in a valve, the valve seems to be forced shut.

I havn't removed the valve body, yet. I'm waiting on some tools to measure the input shaft play. then i can play with it /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i have rebuilt th350/400 a ford c4 and the most difficult of them all the powerglide /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif then again it's been over 10 years since i did those.

ARQ.