Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny gurus: assembling a th-400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright...
    I'm really low in money, and need a way to get some...
    So I am going to be selling my th-400's...won't be using them for a long time anyways...
    They are both torn apart, one is bare, the other one has a few parts on it.
    I have a book (forget the autor) on rebuilding, fixing, etc the th-400...Just need to find where I put it. Before I get started, is there any SPECIAL tools I need to assemble it? I won't be rebuilding them (hint: no cash!) just clean them to sell.
    Also, in your experience, is it hard to put the tranny back together? I would have started waaaay back...but i'm scared to get in so far, and not beale to finish (e.g. the stupid 8270 winch) and also, in the book, (although I didn't read it yet) I don't know if it will show each part and where to put it back on. As I don't have a clue how to put it back together (keep kicingmy self, need to read the book asap)
    Also, is there a difference on how the parts go into the case, or is just the manufacturer and bolt pattern different?
    One is a BOP 2wd, and the other is a GM 4wd...
    Wondering how I have them apart? Kennyw dissasembled them for me last year when I had different plans.

Anyway, moving hopefully soon too, so land area will decrease drastically, so I need to get rid of some stuff anyways...not exactly what I want to do, but looks like this will happen.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the internals are the same for both of them. The tail shaft on the 4x4 will be shorter though. How far torn down is it are the clutch packs apart? For manuals i have found that the Haynes manual is a very good source for a first timer. It is really not that hard if you read through the manual a few times and take your time.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

the manual I have is "How to work with, and modify the Turbo-hydramatic 400 transmission" by Ron Sessions...

I need to do more reading...don't exactly know what the clutch packs look like assembled, compared to apart. I'll take some pictures tomorrow. But one of them (cant remmebr 4wd, or 2wd) is completely torn apart.
    Sorry, really new to this...
    pictures tomorrow.

4. 1979jimmy350

a clutch pack that is a part is a bunch of disks and steels These are rings with materian on them. Some picture would help. I can scan some picture of my manual if you want it is very detailed

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ill get pics, and if you have time, and if you dont mind, would you please scan the pages that would help? Thanks!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only hard part in my opinion (and that I remember) was trying to compress the pistons in the drums against all of those small springs. People have come up with some creative ways to do that though, I've heard of using a chair with a hole cut out of the center so the shaft of the assembly can pass through.

How far is it disassembled? Just major components, or every snap ring undone? If it's just a few major components, should be pretty easy for you to get back together.

From my experience trying to get rid of a BOP Th400 here, it took a long time, and I didn't get even half out of it what I spent on it. If it's disassembled and just going back together fine, but it may take some time to sell. :(

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If all else fails...

One thing to consider--since scrap prices rose,I can get 10-15 bucks for a junk tranny here,whole or dissasembled! :blush: --I have about 10 trannys around here,only 3 of them(2 TH400 car tranny's,and a TH350C/MV4)that worked normally when I pulled them!--so unless somebody wants TH350 4x4 tranny cases or parts,I'm scrapping them soon,or I might take them to a tranny shop and see if they will buy them as cores-.

I doubt they will,I asked the guy at one tranny shop about a year ago,and he laughed me out of the place,saying"nobody has a truck that old that uses those trannys anymore!(except ME :blush: )...now if they were 700R4's,I'd have at least 100 bucks in my pocket--they are bringing insane prices for cores here,especially 4x4 versions.. :screwy: just a "useable" one out of a wreck brings 400+ dollars here now--and are rather difficult to find....if you need a 4L80,bring vaseline... :frown1:

I doubt if even the TH400's are worth much,unless you find someone who has to have one for a hot rod or something--most guys wont buy used trannys unless they could drive them first,or get a warranty... :crazy:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

dial up beware!

Here are the pictures of the one that still has parts on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pictures of the next one in a few minutes...

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This is the one that is dissassembled

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THIS IS THE THREE BOXES OF PARTS FROM THE 2 TRANNY'S:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PARTS EVERYWHERE :grin:

[​IMG]

10. 1979jimmy350

it looks like the clutch packs are still together so putting it all back together will not be that hard. On the two wheel drive tranny it looks like the first box has the parts that it needs. The other two look like they go with the second tranny. you should start with the two wheel drive one take the first box and take every thing out of it and lay it out so you can see it all. Sunday i will be able to scan a manual that will show you how to put it back together fi you can wait that long

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Now might be the time to make a 4wd BOP TH400 for those Cadillac, Olds, Buick and Pontiac swappers. :)

Seriously though, perhaps someone here needs one like that.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Dorian,
    That was the plan in the begining...to make the 2wd BOP a 4wd tranny., I also have a olds 455 I was going to put in the blazer. I'm still probably keepign that though...just in case.
    But I just want to put them back together, plus, even if I did make a 4wd BOP 400, shipping would kill the BOP people in the US...
    Thanks for the suggestion though!

1979jimmy, No rush on the manual, I can wait. Need to clean up the shop before I tackle this.
    Where do the clutch packs go? Around the area the valvebody is, or is it inside the case ? Once I get all the parts laid out I will ask more questions, but ill read the book I have first too.

Thanks

13. 1979jimmy350

the clutch packs go on the inside of the tranny.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

After thinking about it I guess it's common sense they go inside, sorry.

Anyways, I'll lay out the parts in the next few days, and start reading.
    Thakns agian