Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Gurus: Need specific tranny questions answered.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZTimT, Feb 15, 2004.

1. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

Ok, here is what I need to know followed by why. In reference to the following trannies: sm465 10 spline output (1st choice), th400 (2nd choice), and th350 (3rd choice) can the rear output adapter/tailsection be exchanged between the 2wd and 4wd versions. From memory, I am under the impression that the answer is yes for the sm465 and no to the other two, however it has been a very long time since I have seen these trannies side by side. I need to know a definite yes or no as maybe and not sure is what currently already know! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now, the reason for is this question is I am trying to decide if I can use something along the line of a gear vendors overdrive with the 2wd and/or the 4wd version using the same adapter straight off of the back of the tranny. I have a divorced np205 and a very long wheelbase so I only want to know if I can interchange the 2 tranny versions for any one of the three trannys mentioned. The other thing I am considering is swapping in a 2wd nv4500 in for the th350 I currently have and kill two birds with one stone. I really want to go with a manual with overdrive more than an auto with overdrive and I have all three of the trannies mentioned (all in 4wd w/205's) which is why I didn't ask about nor am I interested in acquiring a 700r4. Also, I do not want the overdrive behind the xfer case for certain reasons that are not really relevant. I'm not trying to sound rude, I'm just trying to avoid having questions answered with questions by being as thorough as possible!

Thank you very much for any and all help with this as I am trying to get all my plans together for several project trucks waiting for me at home. Take care everyone!

Tim

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

For the 465, it goes straight to an adapter then to the trasfercase, I was looking into the overdrive also, just letting it take the place of the adapter, but havent found one that will live up to the stress, being inbetween the 205 and 465. Go to www.advancedadapters.com, and www.borgwarner.com to get info on the adapters and overdrives. let me know what ya come up with, but I have only been able to find bullet proof ones that go behind the tc.

3. AZTimT

AZTimT Registered Member

The impression I have so far is that the 2wd version of the 465 can have a gear vendor's bolted directly to the back of it with their adapter. Since I have a divorced np205 as a spare, I am wondering what the difference is between the 2wd and 4wd 465, if any, so that I could set up the 465 with the Gear Vendor's in a 2wd configuration. Then I could run a driveshaft out of it into the divorced 205 and accomplish my goal of having an overdrive in front of the t-case and also having a slightly longer front driveshaft. I haven't found anything else that will do what I am looking for except just going ahead and getting a 2wd nv4500. I am starting to lean toward just getting the nv4500 and be done with the whole thing for about the same cost. Thanks for the links! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Tim

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know you said that you don't want the overdrive behind the t-case, but without knowing your reasons to want it the way you do (hey, I do things my own way too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) Don't forget that the manual tranny gear vendors OD won't work under 25MPH, and without thinking about this very much, you might run into problems on how the GV determines vehicle speed, and realize that you'd have problems trying to run the GV in 4wd, low especially. Then again, when I DO think about it, output shaft speed is what matters to the GV unit since it is fluid engaged, so as long as tranny output RPM was fast enough, it would work at pretty much any speed.

You'd always have problems with the GV and 4wd with the manual transmission anyways unless you used 4wd all the time at higher speeds of course. The manual disengage/engage really makes it a pain IMO, I guess that isn't a problem with the automatic ones.

My dad has the GV with his 465/205 combo in his 73-87 K20 FWIW.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The main difference between a 4wd and 2wd SM465 is the output shaft. The trans case is the same. The 2wd extension housing and 4wd adapter are swappable.

From top to bottom, 10-spline 4wd shaft, 35-spline 2wd shaft, 32-spline 4wd shaft.
    [​IMG]