Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tranny gurus please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schmuck, Jun 7, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

a few weeks ago i blew out the seal on the pump on my 700r4, so i pulled the tranny and noticed that the flywheel was bent and that as far as i can tell is what caused the torque converter bolts to loosen and the pump bushing to push the seal out . now i pulled it, replaced the fly wheel took out the pump, replaced the bushing and seal and also the torque conv. because the collar was chewed up now while i was in there i also replaced the little filter in the pump and replaced all the o-rings i came across. plus the regular filter and pan gasket. now the problem i have is that before all this happend the transmission worked fine except for a slight vibe which i beleve was caused by the flywheel, but now the trans seems to be stuck between gears it always seems to be in either 2nd or 3rd gear it never shifts and once you get to about 25 mph it seems to be in neutral if you manualy shift it into 1st it works fine but all the other gears are the same there is also what seems to be a metal on metal noise now please help

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my 700r4 had a similar problem. after pulling 2 times trying to fix it i talked to the local 700r guru. turns out my front pump was cracked & had groves carved in it from the tourque converter.

if u replace the front pump be sure to get the 11 vane (? i think that is right.) there is 2 different pumps. 1 is more better than the other.

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've heard stories from my auto shop teachers of torque converters getting so hot they balloon out and like you mentioned bending the flexplate... It can also wear out the thrust bearing in the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

13 vane pump....

5. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks i could not remember the number of vanes in the desirable pump.

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

okay ive checked the detent cable and the govener they are both fine what about a stuck valve in the valve body?

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i dont belive the pump is bad because i dont see any fluid leaking, what if the parts store gave me the wrong torque converter could that cause this problem

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

any body else have any suggestions