Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Guru's quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Sep 19, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tranny Guru\'s quick question

Ok I just flushed my 700R4. Last time I had some shavings on the magnet so I suspected the Tranny was probably on it's way. Since then it has burned the fluid a bit (reddish brown) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so that was backing up my thinking. Anyway this time almost no shavings at all just a bit of dust. Tranny doesn't slip and seems to shift ok. What causes the fluid burning? Any ideas??? I have an external cooler, but have not put it on yet as I run 33's with 4.11's the Tranny doesn't seem to be working to hard? Thanks.

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny Guru\'s quick question

Burnt fluid is caused by overheating, usually in the converter. Once the fluid starts to oxidize, it goes downhill fast.
    The fine powered material in the bottom of the pan is clutchs. This is normal, metal chips etc is not. If you havent already, flush the complete system (including torque converter), dont just change the pan filter and pan fluid, thats only about 1/4 of the fluid. You will not get all the old fluid out and the new fluid will be diluted by the bad stuff. Does the current setup run thru the radiator as a cooler? If so, flushing is pretty easy. Disconnect the upper line from the radiator, attach a hose from the radiator into a big bucket,Secure the hose so it cant flop around, Start truck for about 15-20 seconds (this will pump out about 3 quarts until it starts to spit cuz it sucks air in the pump), add 3 quarts and repeat 3-4 times until 10-12 quarts go thru. Get the old stuff out fast or it will start to deposit varnish on things and things will start to slip and self destruct from there /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You will normally not burn the fluid under normal driving, if your doing hill climbing or mud bogs and have alot of load on the drivetrain the fluid will get hot fast.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep thats how I flushed it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I found your old posts by doing a search /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Just have to hook up this external cooler too and see how it works.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Synthetic fluid is much harder to burn. I have ran it in previous rigs.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Synthetic fluid is much harder to burn. I have ran it in previous rigs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a really good point. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    They are much harder to burn in would be a good choice where you normally put a big load on the trans. The trade-off comes in price. If you really need the extra hi-temp to prevent from burning it in the first place, then the $30 or so for a case and hopefully normal to longer change intervals is OK. I have seen changes in shift pattern and feel when switching from regular to syn. The other option is to watch it and change it as required or more often with the cheap $12/case fluid. Thats what BTOD recommends.

I think next time I do the Blazer I may switch to Syn and will install a temp gague. Wouldnt take too long stuck in a mud pit or side of a hill to really get things cooking. On the ther hand, it appears some of my trans fluid is making its way back into the xfer case. I pull the fill plug and drain the overflow when I do my oil and add back to the tranny as needed..who needs a drain plug in the pan /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif