Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny gurus....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselBurb, Mar 3, 2004.

1. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Would a Saginaw 3 speed (L-22) out of a 75 Camaro be able to handle a stock to modified 6.2? Also, how would a Powerglide work with the diesel?

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I can help a bit with the powerglide issue. I ran a powerglide in my chevelle and with 3.73 gears I was spinning close to 3k RPM at highway speed. I'm not positive but I believe that a diesel likes to spin at a lower RPM as it makes torque down low. You would probably be better of with a transmission that has a numerically lower cruising gear. That is my uneducated opinion.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

well if the stock car guys can run a saginaw 3 speed with 4-500 horse, id say it would work. plus they are very easy to find, cheap, light and almost unbrakable /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why would you wan't to run a power glide? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I'm planning my next project. I'll soon have an extra 6.2, I already have the Sagunaw 3-speed and PG, and I have a narrowed D60 rear out of a 1 ton. I was just trying to figure what would work for a parts runner truck. I am leaning towards a pickup from the 30's or 40's, but we'll see what's out there when I get the chance to do it.