Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny hard lines don't fit into new radiator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HoustonK5, Sep 26, 2001.

1. HoustonK5

HoustonK5 Registered Member

Tranny hard lines don\'t fit into new radiator

My top tranny-to-radiator hard line is way offline with the installation of a 4 row 454 radiator. Can I remedy this by putting a tranny cooler inline with the rubber hoses? I was going to do this anyway. What else can I do?

Thanks

Looking for a K5 now

2. schwinnd

schwinnd 1/2 ton status

Re: Tranny hard lines don\'t fit into new radiator

Yes you can run rubber hose for the tranny lines. I dont know if it is recommended but you can. I just noticed that both my lines have been cut and patched that way. I have only had the blazer less than a year and that's something I plan on changing soon.

Just collecting rusty mid-70's chevy's
    1976 Blazer, 1975 Vega SW

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I did that to adapt my lines to the tranny cooler. Had one of them pop on me on the street, darn near caught on fire since the spray was aimed directly at the manifold. Luckily the huge cloud alerted me to the problem immediately : )

I SHOULD run some type of solid line, but I must like to take chances. Then again, just about everyone else does too. Don't waste time with cheap braided line either. Either go quality braid or hard lines. Rubber doesn't like oil, and tranny fluid is hot oil. (hydraulic fluid, ok) If you put some braid over the hose, you won't see the hose deteriorating until its too late.

JMO

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I did something like that. What I did was turned my old AC condencer in to a tranny cooler I got my hose from NAPA at about 4.50 a foot I bought twelve ft. of the stuff too. I used all but 6in or so. The hardest part was getting the right fittings. But it works. Maybe this will help somewhat.

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just so you guys know, most aftermarket tranny cooler manufacturers suggest that you run them in series with the factory cooler in the rad. For those of you in warm climates, like Texas or Arizona, it's not as important, but for you guys who actually experience cold winters, an aftermarket cooler by itself can actually OVERcool your fluid......

I disconnect my aux. cooler between November and March, BTW.

<font color=blue> WE WILL NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. HoustonK5

HoustonK5 Registered Member

As long as I run the tranny cooler in series, does it matter which hard line I connected it to? I needed it because the top line wouldn't fit, so that's the one I connected it to, without trying to find the correct in or out line. It might not cool as well connected in the wrong order, but it should be okay right?

Looking for a K5 now