Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny help needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bangedup, Apr 30, 2005.

1. bangedup

bangedup Registered Member

Heres the story, Swapped out a 305 with a 350, pulled the trans out with the engine cleaned it up and changed the oil. Bolted it up the 350 and put it back in. I did not dump any oil into the torque converter as I felt that it didn’t lose that much. Now that it’s all back together it wont move. I can shift through all the gears in the tranny and transfer case but it wont move. I checked the oil and its good. T case it a little low but shouldn’t affect it.
    I can jack up the wheels and they will spin but with little torque. Today I am going to pull the torque converter to fill it. What did I do wrong??? Am I heading in the write direction.
    Its a 700r4 if that matters.

2. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

did your torque converter spin freely before you bolted it to the flywheel? besides running thru the gears, have you tried cranking the motor? Once its bolted to the fly wheel, you should still be able to put a wrench on one of the torque converter bolts, and spin the whole thing. I did have a buddy who didnt seat the torque converter back in all the way and had to go back and take the tranny back out. When putting the torque converter back in, it will kinda slide in, then seam like its all the way in, but if you rock it a bit more, it will slide further, and it is set? Hope any of this helps. Maybe if you go into a bit more detail, that would help too.
    God bless, Mike