Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigred85, Jul 12, 2004.

1. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

Howdy folks.

I need to replace my 700r4, and I had some questions.

I was thinking of getting a Heavy Duty 700r4 off of Ebay, but there are a ton of options. Has anybody ever bought there tranny from anybody on ebay? Any recomendations?

More Importantly, I have never done anything like this before. My past mechanical experiance has been mainly easy bolt on stuff(springs, shocks, steering stabalizer, starter, etc). Are there any step-by-step instructions out there? Is it worth the $300 to have my local tranny shop install it?

Or would I be better off having my local shop rebuild my tranny for $1300.00??

Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the cash I would buy one from the local guy. He will be sure to do a good job because he has a reputation at stake and knows that if the tranny is bad that you will be back, and be angry. He doesn't want to do it again, so he will do it right the first time. A lot of times, especially with OD and lock-up trannys, the shop will insist that they install it for the warranty to be good.

3. Mav2u

Mav2u 1/2 ton status

Why pay $1300 dollars for a rebuild when you can get a brand new one from GM with a 36,000 / 3 yr warranty on it for the same price. I put mine in myself with a tranny jack I bought from Harbour Freight tools for next to nothing... had it in and out in a day and wheeling the next.

Of course that's assuming you have the basic tools and a buddy to help lift stuff around with ya. I'd buy new with a good warranty or hell spend the extra money and look into getting the upgraded Tranny from B&M.

Mav

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have over 100,000 miles on my rebuilt 4L60E. Some transmission shops will have warranties similar to the GM warranty, mine did. Either rebuilt from a reputable shop or the new GM transmission, both are good. My main point was not to buy one from ebay. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bigred85

bigred85 Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys.
    How do I install it myself?? Is it pretty self-explanatory?? Is it in the maintainance manuel??

My local Cheavy stealership told my that they could not get my Tranny in anymore. Were They just yankin' my chain or what??

Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif