Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tranny help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grieby54, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I have an SM465 tranny mated to a 383 stroker and was wondering what kind of clutch pressure plate assembly and clutch pad I should use.... Any ideas?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I can tell you what NOT to get!....

I had bad luck with the 3 finger style pressure plates!..2 failed in less than a month,and I had to pull the tranny/transfer case out alone both times!--the 12" one will KILL your left leg after awhile,its got a very high pedal effort!...the ones I had bad luck with were Borg-Warner Rebuilts...we had a lot of defective ones returned at the parts store I worked at--including the 2 I bought! :mad:

I'd reccomend an 11" or 12" clutch,(some bellhousings wont allow a 12" to clear), DIAPHRAM style pressure plate...get a good brand like L.U.K.,Centerforce or similar...Pep Boys has L.U.K.'s on sale right now..

Other guys here will likely have an opinion on whose to buy--I personally havent had a manual tranny in a long time,and am not that well informed on any newer stuff that might be available now..they might have better info!.. :crazy: